Chapter Two: Who?

Ephemera

North and Jack were brought to a large room, in a way it felt like a court with the many banners that hung above them on the walls. Each banner stitched a portrait of the Guardians, Jack could not help but admire them, especially one that was clearly meant to be him. Though there were others he was not so familiar with, other spirits he guessed. In the very center stood the globe, though not like the one they had seen before. The one from before had grown from the tree itself, this one simply stood in place as it slowly spun, it was clear this one does not move like the one Mother Nature had simply created with the wave of her hand.

"Not a name I know of," North crossed his arms as he came closer to the globe, "But I am guessing not good-". Lights within Pennsylvania were flickering, and Jack's anxiety grew as whatever force was at play came closer and closer to Burgess. Was this an attack? Were the children in danger? Were Jamie or Sophie in danger? The neighborhood kids—Jack was startled by the sudden heavy hand on his shoulder. North gave him gentle pats on his shoulder, as gentle as a bigger man could do before their attention went back to Mother Nature.

"In all my years as a Spirit, I've spent many learning of all the Spirits that roam the Earth. Not a single one know of her or her intentions—" she turned to them now, face turning grim, "It seems she may have been waiting this entire time"

"Waiting? Waiting for what?"

Jack was soaring through the skies over Burgess. Over the short years the town had grown further, it was truly a city at this point. It had become nighttime, though it wasn't too late for adults and older teens to be out at this time. His presence brought a very light snowfall over the neighborhood as he roamed around for any signs of...well, anything out of the ordinary really. He was not sure what or who he was looking for.

"Waiting for Pitch's fall"

He landed on a rooftop of a store building and hopped along the edge. He needed to get a hold of himself, he couldn't let these weird feelings get a hold of his thoughts. Yet he couldn't help but worry about the possibilities. The Guardians had trouble with one Boogey Man already, they did not need another. One apparently just as dangerous, if not more.

He felt a sudden chill run down his spine, making the Winter Guardian freeze on the spot. He could see it, it was something but it was there, in the corners of his eyes—he turned—it was on his right. He turned again, this time on his left. He tried again, and again, and again, but remained there. He was sure it was mocking him. He then began to speak, only mustering a shaky "H-hey-" before whatever shadow was there quickly disappeared. It wasn't just him, he felt something rush past him.

"Hey! Come back!" He shouted at it first before making a mad dash after it. He could see it now!

"Do not trust the way she looks, she can change at will like Pitch. Though if you really must know...he and that Spirit share the same pale skin and glowing golden eyes"

It was a shadow, formless yet with form. It moved in a way a swarm of flying bugs would. At moments he could just barely make out an actual form within the mass of shadow before it disappeared again.

The two beings now flew over the residential area of the town. He panicked. It was headed to Jamie's house! Jack quickened his pace while the shadow slowed as the familiar house came into view. Jack took the chance, letting the hook of his staff grab onto a light pole to change his momentum once managing to get ahead of the dark mass to take a big swing at it, unleashing a blast of ice. Jack's face went from desperation to shock when the being simply moved away faster than he could track.

"Oooh boy.." he trailed off, knowing full well the ice blast was about to hit—he flinched at the sounds of electric currents being overpowered. He had accidentally struck a utility pole, one that held a box. "Yeeaaahh that's..that's not good-" he continued to mutter, watching home by home lose power. All that was missing was, no yeah there it is, children screaming. Sudden darkness was a great fear for many, especially to children. Especially in the middle of the night.