6

"...It's best that you ignore him. He can be a dick, but I promise you that he really isn't. Just give it time." Zayn says as he points to something on the car that looks like a fan. "This is to allow the car not to overheat."

I have plenty of time, who knows for how long but honestly, Harry being a total dick is like the least of my worries. I have to figure out how the hell my dad is going to find me and bring me back home. "What I really need to know is how I'm going to get my things out of his apartment." I say as I look down at the small pajama shorts I slept in. I look ridiculous and I'm pretty sure half my ass falls out when I bend over this car.

When I look behind me, Theo is sitting on the hood of the car, practically gawking. "Oh, please don't stop." He pouts.

At this, Zayn turns. "Get to work." He grumbles in annoyance at his brother.

"I need my clothes," I say to Zayn. "Do you think Harry would bring them to me? Or maybe let me grab them?" I'm pretty sure either of those options were unlikely, seeing as he kicked me out.

"I mean you can try to ask him maybe, it's hard to tell with him when he's in the mood for people and friends." I wipe some of the oil off my hands with a rug that Zayn had over his shoulder and head for the office that I saw him go into earlier.

I fix myself up, adjusting my shorts, knock twice on the door before I let myself in. "I don't believe I said to come in—" he stops when he turns and is facing me, he probably thought I was someone else. "Oh. It's you."

I close the door behind me. "I need my clothes."

"What clothes?" He says nonchalantly. He turns and sits on the black rolling chair with some leather ripping off.

"My clothes that I left when you kicked me out in the middle of the night last night."

"Oh, you mean when you broke into my apartment, used my shower and my bed?" He quirks an eyebrow. "I believe the law of, finders keepers comes into play here."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "What? No, I need them. They're the only thing I have, I mean look at what I'm wearing."

"Yeah, that's not proper work attire." He hums. "Come back when you're dressed accordingly, alright?"

"Please just give me my clothes."

"What's your name again?" He sways in the rolling chair and turns his head to the side.

"Emmaline, just let me—"

"Evaline, I'm a bit busy here." He mocks me and waves me off. I refrain from fighting this anymore, he was clearly a dick regardless of what Zayn said. I pressed my lips together, my hands ball into fists and I walk out of his office, unsuccessfully.

I go over to Zayn and continue to work.

I guess reality has chosen to hit me all at once today as the guys gathered around to eat, I was sat inside a car with missing doors just outside the shop. My arms hug my body as I look off into the distance. I missed my family and I missed Oliver.

I don't belong here, clearly. I belong with them, living my own life as a married woman with my husband. I look down to my ring. I probably shouldn't have it around here, but I guess it reminded me of what was waiting for me back home. Why did my father only put only me in the car? There was plenty of space for everyone.

I hope they're okay.

"You gonna eat?" My thoughts are put to a halt as I look up and see Harry with a cigarette on his lips, a trash bag in his hand as he throws it in the bin.

I shake my head. "I'm not hungry."

All he does is shrug, throw the cigarette on the ground and stomp on it. "Suit yourself, I guess." He sighs the smoke out and walks away up to the apartment. Maybe I should go look for somewhere else to stay. I knew being here would probably cause some sort of problem. Zayn said he was only here because he was watching Harry's fish and the shop, so more than likely he's going to leave.

I get up from the car seat and walk towards the guys sitting down around the table, Zayn looks up and smiles. "You good?"

"What do you think?" I sigh and take the cigarette that he had in between his fingers and inhale it. I was never an avid smoker, but when I found myself in a dilemma I occasionally would indulge in it. "My world's deep in shit right now."

"Why don't you just call your husband to come pick you up?" Niall comments as I blow the smoke out and furrow my eyebrows. "Are you hiding from him?"

"I'm not hiding from anyone."

"What are you doing here then?" Niall challenges and I grow annoyed.

"Leave her alone, Niall." Zayn interjects.

"I think we deserve to know the real reason that she's here," He continues. "She could be a cop for all we know."

"Yeah, out of all the places full of crime I could potentially go to as an undercover cop I'd choose a car shop."

"Alright," Niall kicks back on the chair. "Then spill." I look around at the four men, half expecting a story and half waiting to see wether he can get under my skin. I flick the ash from the cigarette. I could not tell them even if I wanted to. "Congrats, Zayn. You've brought upon us a cop."

"I'm not!" I say with growing annoyance that made my tone rise. "It's complicated. I just need a place to stay for a while and then I'll be out of everyone's hair." Hopefully "for a while" means one more week, hopefully less. I want to go home.

"That's enough," Zayn speaks up now, glaring at Niall.

"You really trust her? We know nothing about her! She just showed up."

"I trust that you're wrong, that's enough for me. She needs help, I'm going to do that. You don't have to agree with my decision."

At this, Niall shoots up almost knocking his chair down. "You're going to fuck everything up." He spits, glares at the both of us and walks off. Theo and Louis are left behind, Louis looks amused this time and Theo looks concerned.

Zayn must notice Louis smirking because he glares at him too. "What?"

Louis gets up. "I don't have to say anything," he shrugs. "But I'm with Niall on this and I can only assume Harry's on board with us. If this comes back to bite you in the ass, you're on your own." He slaps Zayn's back twice before walking away.

Now, it is down to Zayn, Theo and I. "Just so we're clear," Theo begins. "Whatever you decide, I'm with you." At this, Zayn offers him a gentle smile and they hook their index fingers in their own brotherly way. "Are you coming home tonight?" Theo asks as he begins to walk away.

"Nah," Zayn shakes his head. "Not tonight."

Theo nods. "Later, Emmaline." I gently raise my hand and wave him off. There is solemn silence between Zayn and I, the only sound was the wind picking up outside. It looked like it was about to rain, I can only imagine how much the thunder will echo throughout the shop.

I sigh, rubbing my hands together. I had already finished the cigarette after the short altercation with Niall and Zayn. "Can I trust you?" He finally speaks. I look up. What kind of illegal thing must they be doing that they're so afraid of me potentially working with the law? "None of us need any loose ends around here to be honest with you."

I knew Zayn out of everyone here was the one in need of an explanation. He has been nothing but nice to me since I arrived, he shouldn't be but he is. And that's why he should know, but it's kind of a complicated situation. How do you explain to someone that they are giving refuge to someone who is very closely involved with the Mafia?

Most people would freak out or immediately tell other people, and for my sake and the sake of my family that wouldn't be ideal.

I say nothing, all I could do was nod my head. Zayn half smiles. "Good."