Chapter One: Mi Dispiace

Start from the beginning

Through the airpods in my ears, I could hear a knock on my bedroom door.

"Yeah?"

My little sister, Mia, peeked her head into the room. "Hi, loser."

"Hey, freak." I shut my laptop with a smile. "What are you doing up?"

Shutting the door, Mia rolled her eyes. "I don't have a bedtime on Fridays. Do you think I'm four?"

"I thought you were two?"

She gave me a dry look. 

"You should be asleep," I laughed out. "What's that in your shirt?"'

Mia was making a poor effort at hiding whatever was cupped at the bottom of her pajama shirt. "I stole some of Gemma's cookies," she admitted with a bit of an evil smirk.

Gemma was our amazing nanny who helped out with pretty much everything doing the week, including Mia's home schooling. Gemma was one of the kindest, caring people that I knew, but she very strict about Mia and her sweets, since Mia always had trouble sleeping when she had too much sugar.

Keeping her shirt cupped, Mia did a little sprint toward me and jumped onto my bed, unveiling three cookies from her shirt.

"Mia," I said sternly.

"What?" She handed me a cookie. "I'm only having two. Dad's friends started arguing really loud, so I wanted to come up to your room. Can we watch a movie?"

Her words made me straighten into a sitting position on my bed. I was pretty sure my dad didn't plan on having friends over tonight. "Did Gianni walk you up here?"

Gianni was our personal bodyguard on staff tonight.

Mia shook her head. "No, I think he's with the rest of them in the cigar room," she said around a mouthful of cookie. "One of Daddy's friends walked me up here. He was cool and smelled good."

I froze, fear kicking right in. "You walked up here with one of Dad's friends?"

"That's what I said, didn't I?" Mia asked in annoyance. "Are your ears broken?"

"Mia, what is wrong with you? You know you're not supposed to talk to any of Dad's friends!"

"He just wanted to know where the bathroom was!" Mia shouted back defensively. "I showed him a funny Tik Tok I found, where this idiota boy farts in a pool, and it makes this big gross bubble. He laughed really hard. Wanna to see it?"

Jesus Christ. I was processing so much at once. One being my dad had unwelcomed visitors in our home and two being they were wondering around our home and Mia had encountered one of them. Which lead me to believe something terrible was happening.

Rushing to my bedroom door, I locked it and paced the floor. This was bad. This was so bad.

"Are you having another panic attack, Korinna?" Mia wondered over her tablet.

This kid, I swear. "Mia, I don't have time to explain," I said, reaching into my t-shirt drawer and discreetly taking out the gun I had hidden there, "but I think Dad is in trouble, and I need to make sure he's okay."

"You mean, make sure he didn't get killed like his employees did last year?"
I slowly looked toward over at Mia.

"I told you, I'm not four years old. Can you watch the Tik Tok before you go? Pleaaaaase?"