10: A Spell Cast

A week had passed since I'd made my promise to Riss to live in the moment. Nothing odd had happened, Malfoy hadn't tried to sit with us during any meals, and nothing odd had happened in any of my Potions classes. In Advanced Potions, we continued to brew potions while Snape scolded us for any mistakes, and in Applicable Potions, Snape and I read in silence.

He had not approached me yet about extra Potions tutoring. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen. I didn't know how I felt about that, but I was much more distracted by everything else happening. The drama about the ball intensified, even though it was a month away.

I sat working on Transfiguration homework with Lacey, who was extremely advanced in Transfiguration, being two years ahead of her class and in my class. We were writing an essay about the demonstrative technique of transfiguring a bug into two different animals at once, which was easier said than done. At least, for Lacey. I didn't understand it one bit, even in context.

"I just don't get it!" I threw down my quill in exasperation. "It's not possible. Two animals at once?"

"It's not, Zelle," Lacey laughed. "That's why she's not making us do it. Just write about what you'd do if you did have to do it!"

"But if it isn't possible, then how-"

A brown barn owl flying through the common room window interrupted my complaining. It hastily held out its leg to me, a white envelope stamped with a red seal dangled off of the owl's ankle. It shook its foot at me, urging me to remove the letter. I did so carefully, recognizing the red seal. Dumbledore.

"I'll be right back, Lacey," I said, heading up to my room to open it. "Don't wait up."

My Dearest Zelle,

Would you so kindly grace me with your presence in my office tonight? Around eight o'clock, perhaps.

Best wishes,

Albus

I shook my head. Of course! How could I have let it slip my mind. My monthly meetings with Dumbledore. My next one wasn't supposed to be for a week, so I was quite confused. It must have been urgent.

I checked my watch. Seven-thirty. It was time to go.

Waving goodbye to Lacey, yet offering no explanation, I headed toward my father's office, questioning the motive behind an early meeting. As the time was shortly after dinner, and most students didn't have classes (other than Mrs. T, who held classes at dark). This meant that no portraits would leer at me, and attention is the last thing I want while going up to Dumbledore's.

My boots thudded against the sleek and polished floors. The moon was a beautiful crescent in the sky, which I saw through the large Victorian windows. The sky was a perfect array of stars and comets, perhaps that was Jupiter in the distance? Mrs. Trelawney had taught me a few, yet I knew she'd be excited today to teach her class, for the sky was as clear as ever. I continued my trek upstairs.

I reached Dumbledore's office early, and nervously shifted from one foot to another. Hesitantly, I looked at the gargoyle, and said :"pop tarts."

It let me in immediately, the doors opening with a swoosh. I walked in, only to see an empty office, yet the pensive was pulled to the front of the room. I grabbed the letter on his desk with 'Miss Agoria' scrawled on it and his phoenix squawked at me as I did so. Flipping the letter open, I recognized Dumbledore's familiar handwriting.

My dear Zelle

Come on in, the water's warm

I looked into the pensive, where a figure recognizable as my father was rambling around. I took a deep breath and plunged in.