"Yes, well I'm sure if he had a choice, he'd rather be actually playing, not just teaching." He sends me a glare as though he's one upped me, bragging about his fame without shame.

"Well, not just anyone can be a good teacher. You need patience, charisma, self-control—"

"A teacher is only as influential as their student is willing, you'll find that out the more you grow up." He sends daggers at me across the table.

Perry's eyes dart between us, as though watching an allusive game of tennis.

"Funny thing about age, I've heard that men mature three years slower than women. That would make us all the same." I hope I got under his skin.

"Funny thing about maturity, I've heard not everyone gets it."

I kick his shin reflexively, with a spurt of anger. "Oh, I'm sorry!" I feign, covering my mouth innocently with my hands.

He grits his teeth so hard I can see the muscles protruding from his jaw.

Ben furrows his brows at us, but doesn't seem to catch what's going on. Gladys changes the topic.

I don't speak to Callum for the rest of the meal.

When we finish eating, the four of us help Gladys clean up the table, taking all of the plates back up to the kitchen.

Gladys' phone rings incessantly. "Will you check who that is for me?" she says to me.

I grab her phone from the kitchen bench and unlock it. She uses the same password for everything – always her birthday. "You've got about one hundred missed calls from school," I tell her.

Gladys takes her phone from me and calls the academy. She leaves the room, climbing up the stairs faster than Serena Van der Woodsen walks out of every conversation.

Callum follows me into the kitchen as I plunge my hands into the sink that's filled to the brim with water and bubbles.

Perry and Ben hang behind in the dining room, clearing plates, chatting away as if they have their own secret to discuss. I wonder if Perry has divulged my problems with Callum and the two are gossiping about it. I always question what exactly they talk about. Smart people things.

Callum passes me the plates and cutlery while I wash them.

"You didn't need to make it so obvious in there," Callum says under his breath.

"Make what obvious?" I say innocently, gazing up at him.

"That there's something between us."

"There isn't," I say quickly.

"Don't try and deny it now," he says, taking a sidestep closer to me. "Admit it, you still have feelings for me."

A hot rush of emotions course through me. My cheeks burn under his scrutiny. "I despise you," I whisper, looking away, glaring at the suds in front of me.

"Only because you desire me," he shoots back. He puts his hand into the water grabbing my wrist, forcing my attention back onto him. "Admit it."

"This is inappropriate," I snap, "You're a hypocrite."

He drops my hand and thinks for a moment. Maybe, in the guise of a family dinner, with Ben around, he slipped into old habits. Without my uniform, I'm not a student to him. I'm just a girl he had chemistry with, kissed and forgot about. I'm not someone he owes a duty of care. I'm not his student.

His sly glare returns, "What you did at dinner was inappropriate. Don't do it again."

"Don't tell me what to do."

"You love it-"

Ben emerges from behind us, with a giggling Perry in tow. She blushes when she sees Callum and I together, standing so close. Even Ben gives us a once over. He's not stupid. I've made it too obvious.

"We should get going," Ben says.

"Stick around for desert," Gladys says, reappearing from the stairwell. She paces around the kitchen, taking some ice-cream out from the freezer, and popping a custard danish pie into the oven.

The five of us sit in the lounge room as we wait for desert. Perry, Gladys and Ben drive the conversation. Occasionally, Callum pipes in. But I keep my voice down, scared that if I speak up again, I might reveal everything.

Callum glances in my direction sporadically, giving me a cheeky smirk as if gloating that he's shut me up. That he's won.

I wonder how I ever found him attractive. I wonder why I still find him attractive. And I wonder how long this secret will last before someone gets hurt.