Episode 46: One Room

"Now the needle." My father speaks, my vision a haze which makes his voice seem just as fuzzy, which sucks since I'm already trying to find some sort of stability in my state, but it's not working.

               I'm high as a kite already and more drugs streaming into me isn't going to do anything but knock me out or make me numb and happy to anything and everything.

               "12 today right?" A man in the corner smiles, blowing out the candle on my chocolate cupcake dad had the cooks bake me, while I rest on the table, newly formed slight of curves decorating my waist and chest area as well as my legs, naked so everyone can see with women taking pictures and examining me, poking through my skin to collect whatever vile of blood that stupid place needed as the lights blurred to the point it hurt my eyes. "How addictive is that stuff?" The man jerks his chin towards me. "You know it's not working...you'll have to wean her off it."

               "That won't be necessary." My father mumbles, checking his notes. "She'll be fine."

               "She's been on the drug for a week." My dad's fellow comrade chuckles, dragging his heels and inspecting me while the nurses hover off to the side, a palm on my ankle before he lifts my leg with his rough hand that to this day chills my fvcking marrow. "It's her birthday, and you're hardly compassionate to the fact that you've already got her addicted to your latest experiment. You've made her a drug addict. Why?"

               "Because you want a cure." I hear my father clatter his metal clip board onto the metal table, his patience wearing thin with the people always telling him this or that while he tries to improve what he didn't get right the first time. "You'll remember that?" He takes steps towards me. "This is my child. My wife's child." I receive a kiss on the forehead. "I want what's best for her and the world. Only way that's going to happen is if...certain things, messy things you military types turn your heads away from, happen. This is one of them." My dad points 3 times at me, bobbing his finger up and down, walking away while I feel the drugs affect me, bringing me higher and higher until I think I'm floating.

               That's what Jesse felt? What Jesse experienced?

               Sweet, clouded, unreal disorientation...

               I remember that feeling.

               A month of being addicted to medications and so on...but I remember it, and it was long enough to last me several eternities...and the new bruises I have on my heart need to be the end of my weaknesses, before I crack and fail myself as well as lose who I am.

               This has to stop...

               This sad war inside of me.

________________

-Third Person P.O.V.-

               "They gonna come out any time soon?" Rosita rests at the edge of her seat, pissed at Abraham like the rest, infuriated by the events that happened to one of their own, and refusing to accept any less than complete invisibility to the hospital group that in the majority, dislike every member of Rick's family, and especially hate Spes for all she stands for, past and present, years of hate piled on one another that they finally have an object to release it on.

               Wishing to stampede their feelings, and hoping to trample her in their wake.

               "Rick?" Carol quickly tries to address her leader, but he strides easy, just as quick as he needs, to approach Abraham and steel his fist enough to give a fast and striking blow to the man's face, easily knocking him to the ground before he can recover his thoughts to retaliate against the ex-sheriff.