Episode 39: One Step Closer, One Step Further

"You realize that, they're not coming back." A man with little patience slides a drink to the side before rubbing his eyes, and David sighs, looking into his bourbon with all manner of thought pooling and swirling in his head. "They're dead."

               "If that's so, I'm hoping it's because I didn't underestimate her. It'd be a shame if she died too."

               "Are you getting anywhere with the samples you have?"

               "No." David chuckles and looks down. "Still nothing. I was right. My daughter is irreplaceable."

               "Couldn't you harvest another? Genetically alter? Do anything with what you have?" The man sitting next to the head scientist in the mall turns in his bar stool while a pathetic tune hums out somewhere behind them in the dim drowsy room, no one there to even clean or refill their small glasses to keep the shared sorrow numb at the fact they don't have their prized possession back yet.

               That the men they sent out to retrieve her over almost 3 weeks ago failed to do so and are probably dead.

               "No." David looks to the poorly lit ceiling. "Spes is a mother that can't be replaced. Though they did not come from her womb...she is truly where these Infected came from. I'm certain they sense it. How relative she is to them. Maybe in time they'll even come to love her."

               "I'm getting tired of your sh1t Markasson! You're talking like you've lost your mind, maybe you have. Dammit, answer me straightforward!" The council member grabs hold of the scientist shirt with his fat hairy fist before turning him to face his way. "Answer me David, are we done for?! Is the whole world going to rot?!"

               "I'm not through trying to get my daughter back. The order to kill her still stands if she can't be brought home, but I still want her here.  There's so much more to do with her."

               "Do with?"

               "What kind of mother would she be if she didn't take the traits of her children? That is a crucial step in ridding this place of those monsters." David lies, when in reality, he only wishes to enhance Spes' body, to chance enhancing the Infected bodies, for he is still fighting to fix his mistakes.

               "Ha. No wonder you're the father of those ba$tards." The council member releases the lunatic of a scientist that holds the world in his hands, even though his use is becoming thinner and thinner. There has been talk lately, thoughts and whispers wondering if it would be a good thing to let someone other than the inventor of this plague take a shot at ridding the human race of it. Those that are left at least.

               Everyone does wonder about that.

               "I've been working on the next step." David resumes getting slightly tipsy. "Her blood that she left behind, it allowed me to create the new and more developed injection phase for her. Now all we need is to get her here, and give it to her whole body." A smug smile is pulled onto his face while the man accompanying him begins to leave. "Get me my daughter, and I'll bring you one step closer to a cure."

               Or in actual fact, one step further away.

_______________

-Spes' P.O.V.-

           "This is your room sweetheart." Sage turns to smile at me, staring at the bedroom she's proudly showing off at the moment and, I gotta admit, for the here and now, and in this dump, it's not too...ok it sucks as$ but at least it doesn't smell and it's inside a building. It looks like rain either way.