Bucolic//52

Bucolic: Relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life.
—————————————————

The fresh smell of coffee flew through the air making the atmosphere of the early morning much more enjoyable. The sun shone through the big windows of a café, casting reflections on the already cleaned tables. Sounds of jazz music gave away a serene scenery, one of those you'd see in movies from the 80's. Tanya and (Y/N) enjoyed their beverages while chatting about their lives.

"The wedding should be somewhere in July. We want the weather to be nice because of the pictures and all that."

Tanya was extremely excited about the near future, going as far as to already have a full plan of the wedding. (Y/N) couldn't blame her, the feeling must've been very nice.

She loved seeing other people get married, even if she didn't really see the point. The only nice thing about getting married was probably getting drunk. If (Y/N) were to ever get married, that would be the only reason – everything besides that seems like too much pointless work.

"Oh yeah, I haven't shown you the house we're planning to buy." The blonde spoke while pulling out a picture on her phone.

"Look how pretty it is!"

(Y/N) leaned towards the phone to take a better look at the picture. The house seemed quite big, in a very retro-like style. She noticed that the house rested on the countryside, considering that the backyard was widely spread, surrounded by crops and some trees here and there.

"I never took you for someone who'd enjoy the country life." The girl commented, grinning.

"I didn't think so either, but honestly? After all of this, I'd rather live in the middle of nowhere than a place like this. I'm more than happy to have my own peace you know?"

Nodding, (Y/N) let her words sink into her mind.

She did have a point, city life seems tiresome.

"What about your job?"

"Well, I've got a car and the small village near the house has a lot of stores and cafés I could work in."

The pace everything was moving at made (Y/N) think. It was crazy to think that in about a month she will be done with college, probably leaving this place behind as well. She was sure that Jack would be coming with her, but the question of where stood right in front of her.

Thinking about the house Tanya showed her, one of their options would be to move somewhere somewhat far from the big crowd. It would be easier for Jack, who'd only get some fresh air during the night.

Since the police caught somebody in Jack's cabin, the place has been demolished after some investigations.

"Yeah, that makes sense. Well, either way, I'm very happy for you Tanya."

"Thank you! But don't make it sound like we'll never see each other. I'm having you at my wedding and in my life even after we both leave."

Smiling, Tanya rested her hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder, making the (H/C) haired girl chuckle. (Y/N) knew she'd miss the small café and all the interesting things that happened, but she's glad that most of those memories will remain positive.

Snapping out of her thoughts, she continued to enjoy her conversation with Tanya, only stopping when the café was ready to be opened. This one time, she made sure to be present throughout the whole day making her own views much more colorful.

Jack's gaze averted from the TV to the sound of the front door opening. Rising from the couch, he watched as (Y/N) walked in, groceries in her hands.

Walking towards her, he took the bags out of her hands and moved them to the kitchen counter, giving her space to take her shoes and bag off.

"You look cheerful today. Did anything happen?" he asked while putting her groceries in their own places.

A thud coming from behind him made the boy turn around and see (Y/N) sprawled on the couch – remote already in her hand.

"Oohh, so many things, the most important one being that my coworker is getting married." she inhaled, "And I guess her happiness affected me too. I've also been thinking about something."

Jack shot her a confused look as he closed the fridge. "Marriage?"

Giving him an equally confused look, the girl responded - "No, not marriage."

"Oh. What is it then?"

Now seated on the edge of the couch, he observed as she stretched a little, pointing a finger as an indicator to wait. When the girl finally finished with her spiritual workout, her gaze got stuck on Jack.

"Buying a house."

"What's wrong with this place?"

Her statement confused him. Jack was content here, obviously used to the grounds and the territory. Living in the forest for four years, he built some sort of a sentimental bond with the place – he didn't understand why (Y/N) wanted to move.

"It's wrong that you're living in an apartment with me which allows you to walk outside at night only. I saw this house today on the countryside, and it gave me an idea to move somewhere further from the city. It would be beneficial for us both."

That made sense. Jack wouldn't even notice how much freedom he lost ever since his cottage was destroyed hadn't she pointed it out. Truthfully he didn't mind, but it still felt weird now that it was brought to his attention. He'd only go outside at night for walks and deliveries – considering that it would be wrong for him to kill right after getting the police off of his trail.

Starting somewhere new would allow him to avoid making the same mistakes he made here recently, and as (Y/N) claimed, he'd have more freedom.

"Houses are expensive, aren't they?"

"Of course they are, but I've got money that I've been saving since I started college. For a smaller house, we'd need a couple thousand more – and I'm sure I could arrange something."

Tilting his head to the side, Jack thought about something before he got up and marched to (Y/N)'s room. The boy grabbed one of the bags he kept under the bed and returned to the living room – noticing (Y/N) who was now in a sitting position, a puzzled look on her face.

"Why'd you- what's in that bag?" she questioned.

Letting the bag rest on the floor, Jack unzipped it, showing a fair amount of money carefully arranged in it.

"I usually use this to pay for the medical things I have delivered for me, but if it'll help for the house you want – have it."

Jack tried his best to understand the whole concept of money. He didn't use it that much, but still stole from his victims for situations he knew he'd need some. To his knowledge, money was important for humans to survive – and it also represented some sort of a status apparently. The  more money you had, the more powerful and respected you were.

What a distasteful concept. Power means nothing when everyone tastes the same.

"Not even going to ask - but this will do."

He found her reaction funny, so he laughed. (Y/N) joined him in with the laughter, but hers sounded more nervous than wholehearted. Jack knew that they'd probably have a long conversation about this sooner or later, but for now he'd just let her process everything.

A new house, huh?

————————————————
Hi hi! I finally managed to write a longer chapter- v nice. Anyways, we are closely coming to an end, with only a few chapters left. The next chapter will be up on Sunday, probably a little late in the night (not like it's not late now but yeah). I hope you folks are having a wonderful day/night and remember to take care of yourselves!