Lambs//15

Lambs: Young sheep. Can be used to describe or address someone regarded with affection or pity.
———————————————————————

She looked so innocent, sleeping in one position for hours. Jack had entered her room at some point in the night and just stared. Her alluring scent only hitting him harder, the closer he was. Two unmoving figures, breathing in sync. He could kill her right now if he wanted to. He'd get away with it too. Even if he'd drag the police's attention again it would be worth it.

He wondered how her kidneys tasted. Was the taste as strong as the scent? Would it hit him like wine or vodka?

Coming closer to her bed, he lifted his mask, letting his tongues show. If I could only have a bite. She was like a lamb, waiting to be slaughtered. His little lamb, he claimed.

Grinning, he put his mask back on and took a look at her phone. The numbers on the screen ticked 4:48, meaning that he'd been in her apartment for five hours now.

He knew her phone was supposed to ring at 5, so he decided to get going. Before leaving the apartment, he came closer, his masked face already in her personal space. Looking at her and listening to her slow breathing, he took off his glove and moved the hair covering her face. Putting his glove back on, he quietly disappeared.

(Y/N) woke up to the sound of her loud alarm. Turning it off, the girl got up and walked to the bathroom lazily. This specific morning didn't do her any justice, her energy was drained before the day had even started. Looking in the mirror she noticed a little bit of drying saliva right on her cheek.

How embarrassing, must've drooled in my sleep.

Taking off her clothes she stepped into the bathtub to take a quick shower.  The warm water hitting her skin made her exhale loudly.
She had gotten up earlier to visit the forest and respond to the letter. (Y/N) didn't have to think about whether or not the stranger responded at this point. She knew he had. She was aware of his quick responses, frankly it made her feel bad for having him wait on her.

(Y/N) wasn't stupid, and her stranger wasn't see-through.

She didn't bother eating breakfast, her gut feeling told her it wouldn't stay in her stomach for long if she did. The anxiety creeping from her fingertips to her head made it hard to think properly.

There's no use stressing about it now.

Walking to the forest, she listened carefully, wondering if she's going to hear the crunches of the leaves behind the trees. There wasn't any. The joggers passing by were the only ones making her feel safe at this specific moment.

Approaching the tree they exchanged the letters in usually, (Y/N) hesitantly reached for the paper peeking out of the crunchy leaves that rested in the hole.

"Hello,
I am glad that you've taken interest in my favorite book. I will make sure to buy "The Sculptor" and write to you about it when I finish reading it. I would also like to hear your thoughts on the book I recommended. Will talk to you soon."

Talk?

She snickered. (Y/N) had no idea if her stranger was keen on reading a lot. After all, he did say that he mostly reads informative books, never mentioned how much. The girl knew he was smart, now the only question left was if he would look for other books.

She originally planned to recommend him "The Impaler" by the same author, but it would be too obvious. "The Sculptor" seemed like something that might peak his interest at least.

"Dear Stranger,
I have finally read the book. I must say that it was an amazing one! I haven't read many romances, but this book made me want to read many more of the same kind. The love triangle is a very good trope for writing. The ending was the thing that surprised me the most. I will be honest, I expected it to have a cliché ending that many romance books use, but I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the character of Stephen Smith, he was my favorite. Elfride's character was tragic to me, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I also loved how the author described the eyes of the girl. It reminded me of someone I researched a while ago, kind of made me feel depressed. Anyway, please do write when you finish the book! I will be waiting."

The stranger must've loved the color blue. (Y/N) would shame herself for assuming things, but couldn't help and feel amused at the thought. "A Pair of Blue Eyes" and a blue mask, why wouldn't it be blue?

Things started going south the moment she had left the first letter in the hole of a tree. She should've listened to her gut feeling that time. Her nervousness was usually her guide when it came to making decisions - but this time she ignored it and listened to Oliver. Oliver's judgements were rarely false, but when they were, something awful would always happen.

She found it funny that her best friend said how her stranger could be a "cultist thinking they are speaking to some divine being" or something like that. Seeing the blue mask that time with Lauren, (Y/N) realized that it wasn't her first time looking at it. Granted, she firstly thought that she was imagining things, but was proven wrong many times when walking to the tree with Oliver.

The girl was terrified. Sure, she had figured it out, she knew who her stranger was, kind of. But the thought of them meeting froze her all over. She had the brains, but wasn't physically strong. Even if she tried to fight him off, failure grinned at her - the stranger was taller than her, and based on what he wore it would be safe to assume that he was built well. (Y/N) knew it was only a matter of time when they'd cross paths, but not knowing the exact time and date opened a pit in her stomach.

Judging by the way he ended the letter, it would be soon. She felt her hands tremble, wondering if she had made a mistake finishing her letter in such a cocky way. He'd notice of course. She debated on whether or not she should try fighting for her life somehow or just let him kill her.

Assuming he probably knew where she lived, she didn't have many choices. The last thing on her mind is to return home to her parents. She didn't know how far was this guy willing to go to find her, and putting her family and Oliver in danger was off limits. The police wouldn't help her, they'd just think she's crazy if she tried to explain anything.

Hey officers, I left a letter in a forest and now I think the murderer you're after is replying to me. What was this? The title of a punk song?

Walking out of the forest, (Y/N) headed to work, trying to cover up her obvious nervous expression and shaking hands. She'd have to think hard and risk it. There were interesting days, maybe her last, coming around.

———————————————————————
Hello! Here's another update! It seems that Jack and the reader are going to meet in the upcoming chapters :) 
I won't say when exactly but it should be soon enough hahaha. I hope you lots enjoy! Take care <3