1

You wake up to a light knock on your door. You groan and roll over, having a mental debate over whether or not you were getting up. You start to doze off again under the warmth of your blankets, but another knock on your door insisted that you get up. As much as you really wanted to ignore the knock, you sit up and swing you feet off the bed, putting on your slippers.

Your house was small. Maybe it was because the windows only let in light in small amounts, or because the ceiling was too close to the floor. Maybe it was the scattered magazines and books that lined the floors, and the eerie cold draft of air that sent shivers down your spine. Or maybe it was simply because you lived alone.

Your living room looked the same as any normal living room, except it was always empty. You never really spent much time in the room, sound seemingly echoing off of the lonely walls. There never looked to be any color in your house, and if there was, it was sorely out of place in the dull, grey rooms.

You slowly wandered over to the front door and rested your hand on the icy handle before opening the door. It looked like it had been raining rather hard outside, and you could still smell the wet grass. You lived in the small village in a valley, near to the forests, although no one ever dared to go near too close the woodland edge, scared as though something would grab them and pull them deep into the heart of the trees. You never really understood why the rest of the village was so afraid of the forest, but you didn't bring it up to the townspeople.

"Hi, Y/n!"

Your attention is brought to the people standing in your doorway. One of the two has a mess of wavy, dusty brown hair, with freckles that dance on the bridge of his nose under his bright blue eyes. His goofy smile creating wrinkles around his eyes. He was taller than both you, and the girl next to him. She had long blond hair pulled back into a tie at the base of her head. She had pale, clear skin, and gray eyes that danced over your figure.

"Bennett? Ember? Wh- what are you guys doing here?" You said, rubbing the sleep from your eyes, and doing your best to smooth out your hair.

The girl showed a small smile. "We planned on going to the lake, remember?"

"Oh shit. No, I completely forgot. What's the date?" You said leading them into your house.

"September 22nd, I believe." The man said.

Ember and Bennett had been your best friends since you were all little. You could remember back to when you would all teeter around, throwing little foam letter blocks at each other. When you were a little older, you would make forts out of boxes and declare war upon the others. Older still, you were told to learn to use a weapon to protect yourself. Ember was always better with swords, and Bennett took up axes, while you used bows. In your free time, you would teach the others how to use your weapon, learning all three instead of the one. Of course, you were much better with a bow than a sword or an axe, but you blamed it on your friends being terrible teachers.

"YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT IN YOUR HOUSE!!" You hear Bennett call from the kitchen. You laughed while Ember rolled her eyes.

"You want a brother?" Ember asked me sarcastically.

"No, You can keep him."

"Keep who?" Bennett asked as he walked back into the room with punt butter all over his face. You catch Ember's eye and shoot her a mischievous smirk, which she returns.

"What?" He looked back and forth between the two of you.

"Nothing. I'm going to go change."

You walk back down the narrow hallway to your room and wander over to your closet, finding a sea or grays, blacks, and whites. You skimmed over your closet, a few navy blues in the mix, and eventually found something to wear.