They broke apart, Merlin not being able to open his eyes straight away and just letting out a soft 'hm'. Arthur smiled and planted a kiss on his forehead. He stroked Merlin's hair, making him hum in appreciation. "That was..." "Perfect." Merlin filled in for him. "Yeah." Arthur smiled. "How are you feeling?" "Great." He muttered against his shoulder. "Physically too?" 

"A little beaten up, but I'll be fine." 

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that."

"Me too."

Merlin sounded as if he could fall asleep against him any moment now. Arthur didn't want to ruin that, but he had to get something off his chest. "Why didn't you tell me you had magic, Merlin?" His tone wasn't accusing or anything, but still, Merlin froze, before quickly pulling away from his embrace with a cautious look in his eyes that was mixed with fear.

"What?" He managed to choke out. It hurt Arthur to have Merlin look at him this way. He had to reassure him it was okay. "Merlin, you know my opinion on magic has changed when I met that boy, Mordred right?" Merlin didn't answer, his expression was still doubtful, but there was a bit of confusion now too. "Why did you think I helped rescue him?"

There was a silence for what felt like decades, until Merlin spoke, looking anywhere but Arthur, studying the way that the light hit the counter and how it got devided when it went through the multiple glass viles, casting several light spots on the wall. "You're okay with me?"

Arthur felt a wave of sadness wash over him. He was always thaught to hate sorcerers because they were evil, Merlin had probably learned that too, only he had to go through it on the receiving end. For all these years, he'd had to hide who he was for the rest, just because he king dissapproved.

"I don't care what my father thinks, I know he's wrong. Mordred didn't kill me, even though he was powerful enough to do that back then. Uther started this war, not them. Before my father ruled, they all lived peaceful, I'm aware that they're only hostile towards us because we literally outlawed them! When I-"

He stopped when he saw the look Merlin was giving him. It was pure fondness and love directed towards him. Arthur blushed furiously and broke off the sentence by clearing his throat. "You're adorable." Merlin said, smiling again. Arthur looked up, returning the smile. "Can you promise me one thing?"

"What is it?"

"Don't do that again, okay? Don't die."

"I promise."

Arthur pulled him back in for another hug and pressed his forehead against Merlin's. "I know it's not something you can just do, but can you try?" Merlin gave him a look. "I don't think you're aware, but does the fact that I'm nearly invincible and immortal help?"

Arthur stilled. He was aware that his mouth had fallen open, but he couldn't quite grasp the concept of Merlin being invincible... And immortal. Wait... "What do you mean, nearly?"

"Yes... there's only one thing that can kill me and that's a weapon forged in a dragon's breath." He said, pursing his lips, looking down in mild annoyance. His head shot back up so abruptly, that Arthur almost jumped. "Where's the sword?"

He sounded almost afraid, wincing while he bit on his thumb nail, his eyes never once leaving Arthur's. "I-" He'd dropped the sword when the room collapsed in on itself. "Damnit." Merlin said, running a hand through his hair and sitting back in his chair. "I dropped it in the room." "Do you think there's any chance that it's still there and that we don't need to worry about Morgause having a deadly weapon, the only thing that can kill me? And any mortal - you for one - slowly with just a splinter of it?" He looked more tired than earlier. Arthur narrowed his eyes a bit.