Chapter 8

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me. Hope you enjoy the chapter. :)

(Eden)

I was going through the onions, searching for one that didn't have any soft spots or discoloration, when a man paused on the other side of the bin and grabbed a plastic sack from the roll.

Tall and lean, he had short light brown hair with gray at the temples and beautiful blue eyes. There was something about him that was vaguely familiar. I studied him openly and intently. He glanced up and arched an eyebrow at me.

"I'm sorry," I said, grimacing. "I don't mean to be rude. It's just . . . have we met before?"

"No," he said, smiling crookedly. "I would remember meeting you."

"I feel like I've seen you before." I sighed and selected an onion, placing it in my sack. "Don't mind me. I'm sorry-"

The ringing of a cell phone cut into what I was going to say next.

"That would be me." He removed his phone from his pocket, glanced at the caller ID, and answered the call. "Hello, Dominic."

I frowned at the name and then quickly dismissed the idea that he could be talking to my Dominic. Dominic wasn't that unusual of a name.

"I'm talking with a beautiful woman at the grocery store." The man grinned at something the person on the other end said. "You want me to describe her. Well, let me see. She's about five feet five inches and looks as though a strong wind could knock her over. She has long light brownish blonde hair and eyes the color of cinnamon." He paused for a moment and then asked for my name.

"It's Eden," I informed him.

He told the person my name and then held the phone out to me. "My great-nephew would like to speak with you."

"O-okay." I put the phone to my ear and said, "Hello."

"Hello, Eden," my Dominic said. "I see you've met Great-Uncle Devlin."

"It makes sense now why I thought he looked familiar," I said. "I've seen a picture of him in your office."

"Why don't I invite him to dinner?" Dominic said. "I've been meaning to have him over so you two could get to know each other."

"That's fine," I said.

"I'll see you at home, Eden," Dominic said.

I handed the phone back to Devlin. He and Dominic talked for a few minutes before saying goodbye.

"Did Dominic give you my name?" he inquired, pocketing his phone.

"He did," I replied. "May I call you Devlin?"

"Of course," he said.

"Please, call me Eden," I said.

"Dominic informed me that you're his new chef," he said. "I've been invited to dinner tonight. I gladly accepted when I learned I wouldn't have to eat Gloria's cooking."

"How do you feel about pork chops?" I asked him, adding more onions to the sack.

"It's one of my favorite comfort foods," he said.

"Pork chops it is then." I used a twist tie to secure the sack and laid the sack in the cart. "I will see you this evening."

"I'm looking forward to it," Devlin said.