Chapter 7

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me. Hope you enjoy the chapter. :)

(Dominic)

The sound of mine and Eden's footsteps were loud in the stillness of the museum. Other than a security guard and Jackson there was no one else here. Jackson and the guard kept their distance, giving Eden and me some alone time.

"Have you been to Paris?" Eden asked as we paused to look at a painting of a cafe scene.

"No, but I have been to Marseilles," I answered. "What about you?"

"No," she muttered. "I've always wanted to go, just never found the time."

We moved on to the next painting.

"Thank you for bringing me here, even though you didn't ask me if I wanted to come," she said.

I sighed and said, "I'm not the kind of man that asks, Eden. I'm used to planning things and having people fall in line. It's a flaw of mine. I'm afraid I have several. I will try to do better in the future."

"Thank you," she said.

I nodded.

"How did you meet Mr. Chevalier?" she inquired.

I tilted my head slightly, studying a painting. "Believe it or not, but it was at my club. He came in one evening with a group of women. He looked so out of place that he caught my attention. I introduced myself and he did likewise. We ended up talking about art for most of the night."

"Is he the only artist you know?"

"I also know Corinna Fitzgerald." I shook my head. "The woman is too high-strung for my taste."

"She paints beautifully," Eden said.

"That she does," I agreed.

We went through the remainder of the exhibit without saying a word. It wasn't until we were in the car driving home that Eden broke the silence.

"I can't help but notice that you and your grandmother don't get along," she said.

"And you're wanting to know why that is." I braked for a red light and glanced in my rear view mirror to see that Jackson was behind us. Usually he drove me everywhere I went, but tonight I asked him to take a separate car so that I could be alone with Eden. "There's a story behind why we don't get along, a story that I'm not comfortable sharing."

"Say no more," Eden said. "It's none of my business anyway. I shouldn't have said anything."

"Don't worry about it." The light turned to green and I started the car moving again. "I will share the story with you, but not here and not tonight. I want us to get to know each other better before I open the closet and expose all my skeletons."

"You don't have to expose any of your skeletons to me," she said. "We're not friends or a couple."

I took a deep breath and said, "What if I told you that I had more in mind for us then employee and employer?"

"I don't get involved with men like you," she informed me.

"Men like me." I arched an eyebrow. "What kind of man do you think I am?"

"Powerful and cunning," she said. "You play by your own set of rules and heaven help anyone who doesn't follow them. When you want something you go after it. You won't let anyone or anything stand in your way. How am I doing?"

"Not bad," I said. "But there's more to me than that. I have good qualities as well."

"Oh, yeah," she said. "Like what?"

I activated the right turn signal and slowed down, waiting until after I made the turn before saying anything. "I'm loyal, trustworthy, reliable, generous, good looking. Emphasize on the good looking part. Need I go on?"

Eden sighed softly. "I thought my ex was all those things. Turns out he was nothing but a lying, cheating piece of shit."

I gripped the steering wheel hard and said firmly, "I don't cheat and I wouldn't lie to you."

"You're lying to me now," she said. "You say you wouldn't lie to me, but the sad truth is that everyone lies."

"Everyone tells little white lies every now and again," I said. "What I should have said is that I would never lie to you about things that were important." I glanced over at her briefly before returning my attention to the road. "I have an idea. Would you care to hear it?"

"Sure," Eden muttered.

"Why don't we spend time together, get to know each other?" I suggested. "No pressure, just two people enjoying one another's company."

"I - I don't know," she said.

"I'll be a gentleman and keep my hands to myself," I said.

"Somehow I can't see you as a gentleman," she uttered dryly.

"I've been known to rise to the occasion when it's called for," I said, grinning. "What do you say to my idea, Miss. Grace?"

"I say yes," she said, after a moment of silence.

I pulled into the driveway with a satisfied smile on my face. Eden agreeing to spend time with me meant I was one step closer to making her mine. I brought the car to a stop in front of the garage, shifted into park, and switched off the ignition. Jackson pulled up alongside us.

Eden and I removed our seat belts and climbed out of the car. We made our way to the front door with Jackson following us. I opened the door and led the way inside.

"I'm going to grab a snack and then head up to bed." Jackson closed and locked the door behind him. "Do either of you want anything?"

"No, thank you," Eden said. "I'm going up to bed in a minute."

"I'm good," I replied. "Don't touch my biscotti, Jackson. That's grounds for dismissal."

He chuckled and headed in the direction of the kitchen.

"I'm serious," I called after him.

"No, you're not," he tossed over his shoulder.

I shook my head and said to Eden, "I get no respect."

She smiled at me. "I'm going to turn in."

"Rest well, Eden," I said softly.

"Thank you," she said. "Good night, Mr.-"

"No," I cut in. "You know what I want to hear."

Before she could say anything Anthony came down the stairs. "Hey, how was the exhibit?"

"It was nice," Eden answered. "I had a lovely time."

"You mean Dom didn't bore you?" he said, his eyes filled with amusement.

"No, not at all," she responded.

"You wouldn't be saying that because he signs your paychecks, would you?" he teased her.

"Of course not." Eden cleared her throat. "Well, I'm off to bed. Good night, Anthony."

"Good night," he said.

Eden turned to me, lowered her gaze, and said quietly, "Good night, Dominic."

Ignoring the way my heart skipped a beat at the sound of my name on her lips, I wished her a good night.