101 | Stoke the fire

Start from the beginning

"You're calling me from Millie's phone, so I know what's happening here," Kaden chatted freely, "She can't live with this on her conscience so you're trying to win her back. I won't accept the apology unless I win a little something too."

And there's the Kaden I know and despise. Always looking out for himself.

Luke pressed mute, "Can I hang up on him now?"

I shook my head, "You effed up by effing him up, so now you face the consequences."

Luke gritted his teeth. "Swear, Millie. Just say f*ck."

I unpressed the mute button. Luke rolled his eyes, looking extremely uncomfortable by the situation.

I didn't care about being humiliated right now. I've been embarrassed so many times I can't even count. I just want to know, when I'm as old as Winnifred's old lady, that I didn't dish out what I'd been served.

"How about I hang out with you and your friends in public?" Kaden offered, "Maybe take a couple pictures-"

"No."

"Fine. One picture in private?" Kaden bargained, trying to get some clout.

"No."

"Then I don't know what to say to you, Luke. You assaulted me and I have every right to press charges. The school suspended all of us after you made the entire basketball team lie for you. How does that-"

"Here's some advice, Kaden. Your problem is your big mouth. That, along with your greed and lack of friends, is going to keep getting you in trouble. I'm being forced to apologize, but you better change behavior. Even though I won't come for you again, there are others who will."

"Are you threatening me?" Kaden retaliated.

"I'm warning you. It's called advice."

There was a shuffling on the other end of the line and when Kaden spoke, he sounded closer to the phone, like he'd gone somewhere super private to speak, "I know I messed up."

Wow.

I didn't know I would feel something, but I did. It was the first time Kaden has ever recognized what he's done. It's the first time he's ever shown some kind of remorse. And I hated that he was doing it because of Luke. Why couldn't he say that to me or Kelly or any of the girls he's cheated on?

It's bullsh*t.

Kaden doesn't respect women, and this was the bitter realization. He'll own up to a guy but not apologize to a girl? I really hope he'll grow up.

Trust Luke to call someone up to apologize and then get an apology back.

I didn't even hear what Luke said but they hung up a few seconds later. Luke had done what I asked him to do, and I really appreciated that. It hadn't gone as smoothly as I expected, but it's not like you can force a happy ending.

This had taken a lot for Luke to own up to, especially since he's a proud guy. And it left a bittersweet taste in my mouth. I wasn't sure I had been right to demand this of him. But it made me comfortable knowing that my boyfriend showed remorse for his violence.

I leaned over and gave him a kiss.

"All that for a peck," Luke mumbled.

"After what you did? Be happy you get a peck," I replied, keeping my tone light even though my head was turning.

Luke raised an eyebrow, "I held up my end of the bargain..."

"And I'm coming with you!" I exclaimed, "Just give me ten minutes to pack a proper bag."