101 | Stoke the fire

Start from the beginning

I can't be with a bully. I just can't.

I know I sounded like a broken record, bringing the same subject up all the time, but I couldn't let it go. I thought I could. I tried to. But he doesn't get to walk away with this, just because of a few charming words and a sweet smile.

I explained, "You did what you did to him because of me and I... I can't live with that."

The silence between us got heavier. I wished I could see what he was thinking. I didn't want us to break up but, at the same time, I couldn't move forward like this. It's hypocritical of me, when I've been no saint either, but it is what it is. I love the boy too much to just turn away. So, all I can do is ask him. And either we move on together or we get stuck. I don't know what else to do.

I don't see a right way... at least, I don't see a right way that I want to take.

Luke stared straight ahead, tapping his left hand against the top of the steering wheel. He looked annoyed, very annoyed. But he knew I was not joking around.

9 times out of 10, I behave like a clown. But this is that 1 time.

He exhaled, "Fine."

I didn't realize my hands were shaking until I opened my phone to pull up Kaden's number. I'm not used to serving ultimatums, especially to Luke who hates being told what to do. I don't know what would've happened if he said no. I don't even want to think about it.

I handed him my phone.

**

Time can really slow down at the worst possible times. It speeds by in the best moments but now... this felt agonizingly slow. I hated the situation. The fact that I was making my boyfriend apologize to my twisted, terrible ex-boyfriend gave me chills. Luke has only cared for me, where Kaden has not... but I guess this isn't about me. Or us. It's about principle.

I think.

I don't even know what I stand for right now, but I think I'm standing for something. Maybe I'm stupid for doing all of this, for putting Luke through this, but my conscience is at ease. At least that part of me can sleep easy tonight. And hopefully that part of him, too.

"Millie," Kaden's voice on loudspeaker filled up the car, "I can't say I expected to receive a call from you. Especially since you've gotten your hotshot boyfriend to do everything for you these days."

The sound of Kaden's voice was like nails on a chalkboard. I cringed.

Luke closed his eyes, forcing himself to stay calm. I'm sure his instinct was to strangle the guy.

"Listen nerd," Luke interrupted, "You're a piece of sh*t and you know it. Morally weak too."

What kind of apology is this?

I stared at Luke like he was jumping off a cliff. He gave me a look back - and I had no idea what to make of it.

"But here's an apology for getting your ass whooped," Luke said and stared me directly in the eyes, forcing me to hear the painful words, "I'm sorry for making you cry."

Remind me to never ask Luke to apologize again. The guy is not subtle at all. For making you cry? There was a sharp inhale of breath on the other end of the line.

"Can you say it again in a way that doesn't embarrass me?" Kaden asked.

"You want to record it? It's embarrassing for you no matter how I say it," Luke replied, knowing that Kaden would jump on the opportunity to turn this around and humiliate Luke. I hadn't really thought about that before.