The Master and the Stalker

Start from the beginning

'Hmm.' The old man had nodded, eyeing her with a new-found interest. 'She speaks for herself. Interesting. And definitely unwomanly. I would take her in, Sir, at your suggestion, and see if she will prove worthy of the job.'

Liam had seemed content, so Alexandra had surmised it was a positive outcome.

'He, the man we talked to just now, was Master George. He was the best Secret Agent we had, many years ago. Now that he is retired, the noble man, instead of having a peaceful old age, is busy teaching the new recruits. But, he is very disciplined. Very hard to please. If you want to learn anything valuable from him, beyond the normal course, Alexandra, you will have to prove yourself worthy.' Liam later told her, while in a rare gesture of concern and friendliness, he had walked with Alexandra to drop her back at the Shelter.

'How?' Alexandra had demanded, 'To me, he seems like an old cracked nut. No less harder, albeit cracked.' And she had made a face.

'Old. Cracked. Nut.' Liam had repeated, laughing slightly. 'A colorful vocabulary, you have there, of the type I don't think they expect out of princesses. As for how you will win his confidence... I can only say, it depends. Maybe keep acting like an upstart: he certainly appreciates it to some extent. Watchfulness ... and discipline, definitely. To top it all of, perhaps a bit of praise?' He had added, mouthing old cracked nut again and shaking his head with a wide grin.

'Don't let Master George hear the part about praise... but that is a great start: an old, bald, bearded man likes praise too!' Alexandra had exclaimed. She had found it strange, how easily they were talking, she hadn't found it as easy to talk with her father or brother. Mainly because Austin was always in his own sweet world. And he certainly didn't have such a ready laugh, such understanding and such unpretentious maturity. Alexandra already liked Liam in a way she hadn't liked anybody before. 

'But,' she had finally announced. Whatever else the situation, there had always been a but in her life. 'What if I don't make it? What if Master George finds me unworthy of being a... spy?'

'The espionage council works secretly. No common citizen of Idgard, no one, other than the most important ministers ... know about it.'

'And ... so?' Alexandra had prompted.

'So, nothing.' Liam had shrugged. 'You can then live in the Idgardian Palace. Nobody will doubt a thing. But you will have to keep quiet about the council.' He had then stopped for just a second. Liam had pronounced it like a suggestion, but Alexandra very well knew that was an order. 'I can believe you will, can't I?'

'You can trust me.' Alexandra had assured. That assurance, she was going to keep up - for the rest of her entire life. 

* * *

But she knew that would not be the case. As she got up, Alexandra knew she was going to make it into the Council, for the training. She didn't wake Betty, simply tiptoeing out. Once in the streets, she took the path to the Council. It was the normal path to the Markets, a slight turn to the left, walking a kilometer further and they came upon the moat, which was wide and considered a dead end. 

Unless one tossed the coin over and had the bridge lowered. It had its faults, for the coin could be stolen, but the bridge was large enough only for seven people. And the hundreds of spies inside could definitely deal with seven intruders.

'I hope I remember the way!' Alexandra complained to herself, gathering the cloak around her tighter. It was colder than she had anticipated it to be. A thick, misty fog hung about, and inhaling it filled her with an uncomfortable, moist sensation. The rows of stone buildings, the endless pathways glazing on to all ends and the even, gravelly road underneath her foot, were all rather close to Doveland in proximity. Yet, so different.