Chapter 5

I quickly get up and make my way into the kitchen, where Aaron is.

His eyes are fixed on the floor, fear plastered on his face. "Spider." He manages to choke out.

I chuckle a little and squish the spider with a piece of tissue, throwing it in the bin. As mean as it sounds, I'm not the fondest of spiders either and in my opinion, the only good spider is a dead one.

Suddenly, my mind is diverted back to my childhood, when I was around eight. When I had first learned that Aaron hated spiders.

The big, black spider had scuttled from one side of Aaron's room to the other.

He screamed, causing me to jump and see what was wrong with him.

'What's wrong?' I had asked, he had replied with a simple gesture towards the spider.

I had let out a giggle, then I had called his mom to move it, she had told me the exact same saying 'the only good spider is a dead one.'

Aaron settled down after that. And I had then witnessed his phobia first hand.

The memory was a clear as a summers day to me, flooding into my mind like a waterfall.

Sometimes, I wish that I could just forget everything about Aaron, the good and the bad. It would save all of the pain that I feel when I look into his eyes.

"DAISY!!!!!!" Aaron yells, snapping me from my thoughts.

"Sorry." I splutter. "I zoned out."

He shakes his head in an annoyed fashion. "Your phone was ringing."

"Gosh... You don't need to be so rude." I snap, before retrieving my phone from the counter top.

"Then you should pay attention." He scowls, leaning against the oven.

"Don't lean on that." I sigh. "You could press a button."

He looks behind him and moves quickly. I, check the notification on the screen of my phone, reading 'Iris'. I let out a loud groan before calling her back.

Iris is my older sister. She moved to LA for her job, so I forget about her a lot. She is the perfect child in my family, the one that everyone loves, the one that fulfils our parent's hopes and dreams. Iris and I have never gotten on, we have very different views and opinions on the world and she wasn't ever very nice to me.

"Hello?" She says, from the other line.

"Hey, it's Daisy." I reply. "Did you ring?"

I hear her sigh. "Yeah. Why didn't you answer?" She asks.

"I didn't reach the phone in time." I lie. "Did you need me?"

"Yes. I just got engaged." She replies. "You need to be my maid of honour."

"Shouldn't you be happy?" I ask, holding my phone up with my ear and shoulder and taking a yogurt from the fridge.

"I am." She snaps. "I just don't want you as my maid of honour."

I sigh a little. "I don't particularly want to be your maid of honour either, Iris."

"Well." She starts. "Mom expects you to be. She'll be really upset if you're not."

"I know." I state. "Well, congrats anyway."

"You're coming dress shopping with Mom and I in California on Sunday." She snaps, before hanging up.

I sigh loudly and finish my yogurt.

"Who was it?" Aaron asks, in a monotone style.

I turn to face him. "Iris."

His face becomes a little shocked, but then he nods. "I forgot about her." He says. "She okay?"

"I have to be her maid of honour." I explain. "She's engaged."

"Oh." He states, emotionlessly.

I stand up and go into my room, closing the door behind me and sitting at the desk.

I hear the tv turning on in living room, indicating that Aaron is watching it.

I pull out my book and begin reading, that's when my phone rings again. 'Iris' again?

"Hello?" I answer.

"I forgot to tell you." She starts. "You need to have a date, it'll look better."

There's a pause for a while as I think things over. At twenty two, you'd think that I'd be able to get a date. But the thing is, I really don't trust anyone. Not even my own family.

"Have you got one?" She asks, annoyed.

"Yeah..." I lie, my voice indicating that I really don't.

She scoffs a little. "Really? What's he called?"

My eyes widen and before I can think, I blurt out: "Aaron." I mentally face palm. Reminder: you hate Aaron. He's not your date.

"Aaron? As in your friend?" She asks, in a shocked tone.

"Y-yeah." I stutter, trying to find a loophole out of this situation.

"Okay." She states, before hanging up.

Iris can be such a bitch at times, most of the time.

Although, I can't blame Iris for everything. I'm the one who blurted out 'Aaron'.

How will I get out of this?