Ch.13

Seagulls pass overhead as I stare up at the sky, listening to the laboured breathing of Alberto as he still leans against me. His fins are loose, rising and falling with every sound that passes the boat. They're like his ears, in a way.

"Are you sure you don't want to watch the Portorosso Cup?" I question. The race was only in a couple of hours and Alberto encouraged me to go. I use my hands to begin pulling and plucking loose bits of kelp which has embedded themselves in his petal shaped hair. He definitely must've picked them up while exploring the depths.

Alberto vented deeply, unsure of his answer. He shrugged his shoulders. "I might. But I don't wanna face Luca. Not right now." He didn't want to face the younger sea monster. Not after he betrayed him like that. Which is completely understandable.

Alberto just needed some time to gather his thoughts together. The blue sea monster gritted his teeth, knowing I'd understand, but he couldn't help but have that cloud of doubt loom in the back of his mind.

"Of course, Alb. You just need some time." I give his large hands an encouraging squeeze. His tense shoulders relax and he sighs in relaxation. His tail is halfway in the water and I swear I catch it moving in my direction, trying to flick water towards me. "I can see you with your tail. Whatever you're planning won't work." I chuckle at him softly.

Alberto pulls from me, acting dramatically. "Oh darn, fooled again," He clicks his fingers, a toothed grin plastered on his face. I beam pridefully. "Your plans have been foiled." I cross my arms, shutting my eyes to beam in my pride for a moment. My moment of triumph is interrupted when I feel water get flicked at my face.

"What was that you were saying, Princess?"

"Alberto!"

He grins cockily, his fins perking as victory was now his. "Now, I'll catch up with you later. Go have fun at the race (Y/N)." The sea monster scurries over, giving me a quick kiss before sliding into the water and giving the motor an aggressive whack before it decides to sputter to life.

✮ ∴ ∵ ✰ ∵ ∴ 🐚 ∴ ∵ ✰ ∵ ∴ ✮

After parting with Alberto, I had made my way back to the Portorosso docks. Everybody had gathered for the race. Luckily, it hadn't started just yet. As I dock the boat, I am greeted my Giulia speeding her way over to me, pulling me into a crushing embrace. "(Y/N)! Are you okay!? We were worried sick, idioti! Where's Alberto?" She questioned, growing concerned something had happened.

"Oh, he needs time to forgive Luca. But he's doing better, don't worry. Where's Luca gone?" I ponder, hugging my friend back. The redhead pulls away and squeezes my hand. "Oh, he's gone to prepare for the race," Giulia pinched the bridge of her nose as she spoke, sighing out her words. "Aaaand he's a sea monster too." She slumped her shoulders afterwards.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how on earth we didn't notice it before. They didn't even know how to use forks correctly and had little education on the world. "I gathered that..is there still time to prepare for the race?"

Giulia raises her hands up, waving my worries off with a smile "Don't worry about that, I got everything ready for you! Come on!"

Grabbing my hand once more, she begins running towards her home as fast as her little legs can carry her. I stagger after her. "Woah easy, migliore amico! You're gonna trip!" Just as I say that, I feel the smaller girl slip and almost fall, but since her bestest friend in the whole wide world was there- I caught her by the arm. "See? I told you!"

The redhead smirked awkwardly up at me. "Falling is a lot faster then running." She pointed out, opening her front door. "Papa! (Y/N) is home! Also, Alberto is okay! He's just not here at the moment!" Giulia called. There was no response.

"Maybe he's out looking for Alberto again. Come on, G." I push her upstairs, waiting at the bottom. Crossing my arms, I arch a brow when I hear the thudding of steps come back down the stairs. "Heads up!" Giulia calls. "Wha-" I'm immediately cut off when my swimming costume smacks me right in the face. "Got it," my speech is muffled against the costume.

Giulia hurries back down the stairs. "(Y/N)! You're supposed to catch it with your hands, not your face." She chortles innocently.

I pull the costume from my face with a jolly giggle. "My face is much more efficient to catch things." Giulia laughs loudly, grinning widely, before a serious tone laces her voice. "Honestly..what happened with Alberto? And have you had breakfast?"

Pursing my lips, I shake my head to the second question. "No, I haven't eaten breakfast yet. Maybe I can tell you everything over some cereal?" I was pretty hungry, so a nice morning meal before the race sounded lovely. Giulia nodded in understanding, pulling me into the kitchen as she forces me to sit in a chair. "Now, hit me!" She speaks, beginning to prepare me some delicious breakfast. Instead of cereal, she was making me pancakes and a cup of tea.

"Well, I borrowed your Papa's boat so I could sail to Isola Del Mare, a little ways off the coast here. Its where Alberto lives. He lives in the cobble tower. He was upset, but I don't want to say in case I breach his privacy." I explain, saying a 'thank you' to Giulia as she sets a cup of tea in front of me. Machiavelli also happened to be home, so he hopped in front of me and butted his head against mine, purring as I scratch his chin and kiss his nose.

I had to ignore the sweet smell of pancakes as I carry on my explanation. "So, let's just say..me and Alberto are a thing now." As I say that, Giulia gasps and claps her hands. "I knew he liked you! I'm so happy for you, (Y/N)!" She gives me the sweetest smile, reaching up to a cupboard so she can grab a plate to place the pancakes on, followed by a knife and fork. "You've earned these pancakes. Anything you want on them?"

"Hm..maybe some honey, please?" I hold the forch in my hand, twiddling it around in my fingers as Giulia comes over with the honey. She purposely makes a smiley face on my pancakes. "Oh, your mama also messaged you on your phone." Giulia hands me my phone which was placed neatly on the kitchen side.

I am a little concerned, but open the message to read it.

'Morning, mio caro. I'm afraid I have got some bad news. Papa has found a new job elsewhere and we need to move. We are going to be moving far Camogli. I'm sorry, (Y/N). We'll be picking you up tomorrow, so please spend time with your amazing friends and enjoy the Portorosso Cup. Lots of hugs and kisses, Mama xxx'