Ch.3

I hold the last forkful of my trenette al pesto, about to spoon it into my mouth until Massimo spoke after practically not saying anything for this entire dinner. "Where did you boys say you were from?" Machiavelli looked suspicious, narrowing his eyes as it was followed by a deep growl, his fur puffed up to make himself seem big and intimidating.

Alberto and Luca pause from licking their bowls clean, staring up at the big, intimidating man before them.

Giula gulps, holding her fork in her hand and she gives me a worried stare. "Uh, they're classmates. From Genova. Luca and.." she carries on speaking when Luca whispers something in her ear. "Alberto!"

Massimo holds his small cup of juice in his hand, looking down at the boys from his thick eyebrows. "And what brings you both to Portorosso?"

"Oh, uh..funny you should ask. Theg came for the race." Giulia twirls her fork in her dinner, taking a mouthful of her pasta. Massimo raises his right eyebrow which revealed one of his eyes. "The race?" He questioned, looking to me with a stare that required reassurance. "She's your daughter, you talk her out of it." I whisper softly.

"Yeah! You know what, don't worry about it."

"Don't worry about it?" Massimo almost scoffed at the thought to not worry about his daughter, placing his fork down against the clothed table.

Giulia picks up each of your finished bowls, glancing m at me in worry as she slinks around to the sink to wash ho the dishes. "Yeah! Don't worry about it."

A deep sigh passed the man's lips and he placed his drink down loudly, catching us all by surprise. "Giulietta. A word."

Out of politeness, I stand up from my seat and take it out to the back garden, setting it against one of the walls so it wouldn't get in the way. Giulia and Massimo's kitchen was small enough as it is. Luca peers around the doorway to see what I'm doing, but I give him a gentle thumbs up as I head back inside.

"Giulietta, I don't want you entering the race again. You get so upset." Massimo spoke, sat beside Giulia who was determined to race.

Giulia wanted to be in the race as much as I did, so I understood why she was so eager. And why her papa didn't want her participating- she did get humiliated. "Papa, per favore, I have a team now. (Y/N) can stick up for us and she can help us with work like she always does! Please, Papa."

"There is also the entry fee..money is tight." Massimo seemed to grimace at the thought, furrowing his brow at the mention of money.

Giulia leaps form her sitting position, placing her bands on her papa's forearms. "I'll work double shifts at the pescheria! Whatever you need."

"I can't sell what I don't have. What I need is more fish in my net. Mi dispiace, Giulietta." Massimo apologies to his daughter.

I lean against the wall, crossing my arms as I watched Luca raise his hand like a child in school. "Um, excuse me? We could help. If you'd let us."

Massimo let his one arm fall into his lap, fixated on the boys. "You know fish?"

"Fish? Psh, we know lots of fish." Alberto spoke confidently.

"Can this face lose?" Giulia gestured to herself, giving me an excited wink.

Massimo sighed heavily, defeated by his charming daughteronce more. "You want to work? I'll put you to work."

I never expected anybody to be so hyped about having work to do, but props to the boys for wanting to help out around here. A smile forms on my lips as Giulia embraces her once armed father.

However, I hear an infamous growl behind me. Machiavelli is on the table, staring down Luca and Alberto. "Oh dear. Machiavelli, no. Don't you da- GIULIA CONTROL YOUR FELINE!" I holler, trying to grab the slippery cat whom was clawing, scratching and biting at the new guests like they had offended him in some way. "Aha! Capito!" Grabbing the cat, I hold him in my arms as he attempts to slash for both Alberto and Luca with exposed claws. "Bad kitty! You do not attack the guests, off with you." Placing the kitty down, I grimace to see both boys all scratched up. "Oh caro, I have some plasters in my suitcase. Come, come. Giulia, you too!"

"Goodnight, Massimo. Sleep well!" I pat the man on the shoulder, speeding down the hall to grab my suitcase. "Dio mio..up we go." Wheezing, I lift up the heavy bag and strain my way up the stairs. "Heh, are you alright up there?" Alberto seems to joke about the situation as he follows me up the stairs. "Si, absolutely fine." I drag my things into Giulia's room, unzipping the bag to find a small medical pouch. Mama always insisted I bring medical stuff with me, just in case I hurt myself. Which was more often than I'd liked.

Unzipping the bag, I find some disinfectant wipes. "Sit." I push my case aside with my foot and perch on Giulia's bed. The red head hurries behind me. "How are you so wise and prepared, (Y/N)?" She asks, resting her chin on my shoulder. "Is this another old joke? I'm only 14, Giulia." I playfully pinch her nose between my two fingers.

Luca and Alberto sit in front of me, waiting patiently for me to wipe their feline claw marks. "Hold still, this may sting." Taking a small white sachet, I rip it open and unfold the wipe which smelt faintly of alcohol. Reaching up, I begin wiping away Alberto's face, hearing him breath sharply as he pulled away. "That really burns!" He protests, glaring at both myself and the wipe as he shields his face defensively.

"It's to stop infections, I promise it'll help. Giula, here. You can do Luca." I pull a whipe from my bag, handing it to her. She takes it and mouths an 'okay', hurrying over to the younger boy.

Alberto reluctantly removes his hands from his face when he sees Luca getting the same treatment too. He'd have to be brave, besides it'll make him look cool. "Just a bit more, it'll be over in a minute. I don't think you want an infection."

"An infection? I've had loads of those." Judging by the tone of voice, I don't think he even knows what those are. He's just trying to show off, or be impressive. Then again he might not have been lying.

Chuckling softly, I just nod in agreement. "Mhm. Now there, all done! See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I see Alberto's look down at his hands, but he nods. "Yeah, you were right. Now, come on Luca. We'd better head back to.." he seemed to trail off.

Giula looked over to both of the boys. "I've got my little tree platform you can always use! It's out the bedroom window. You can climb through."

Luca hopped off from the bed, approaching the window. He awkwardly stepped his way onto the platform, followed by Alberto who was a little more grateful in his steps. "Night, (Y/N), Giuila."

"Buonanotte, boys! We'll see you in the morning." Giula closed her window shutters, sighing deeply. "Okay, (Y/N)! Just zip up your suitcase and kick it under my bed, I'll get you two duvets and some pillows! Feel free to get changed!"

As Giulia stepped out of the room, I fish around for my pyjamas, clasping them before setting them on my best friend's bed. Removing my clothes, I neatly fold them back up into my suitcase and set my phone aside as I slip on my comfortable pyjamas. Which was a simple, loose long sleeve shirt and some oversized shorts.

"Boo!" Giulia bursts through the door, throwing the duvets and pillows at me. I gasp and dramatically fall to the floor, clutching my chest. "Noo! Friendly fire!" I start giggling amongst the duvets, wiping tears from my eyes. As long as I was with my best friend, I didn't mind sleeping on the floor.

Arranging the duvets, I lay against the thickest one and pull the lightest over me as I settle into bed. The light soon switches off. "Night! Don't forget to text your mama and papa!"

Grabbing my phone, I quickly text my mama and papa a goodnight message before switching off my phone, excited for tomorrow.