A tug on my hair. I glared at Arthur and pushed my hair back.

"Where did you go?"

"Nowhere," I replied, straightening my shoulders, "how armed can I be without raising eyebrows?"

"A sword and a couple of knives in plain sight are normal, but you can hide as many weapons as you want."

I could work with that. Arthur reached behind his back, pulled a small gun and gave it to me. I frowned.

"Silver bullets," he simply said.

I gaped at him, "how in the world did you get them?"

Silver bullets were a big taboo in our world. All silver mines, silver sources in general, were controlled by the Five. Once the metal was obtained, it was made into different weapons, from swords and knives to arrows and bolts. All kinds of weapons. Except automatic projectile weapons.

The weapons were then treated with powerful magic so that the silver would never melt, thus preventing anyone else from turning it into something else, like bullets. This was mainly done to keep the silver away from human hands for obvious reasons, and to avoid having to worry about automatic projectile weaponry that could seriously hurt immortals from large distances.

All the process was controlled by the Five. They controlled the entire silver weapon stock of the world. Not everyone liked that fact, but the Five had been doing it ever since the silver mining started, and they regulated the weapon commerce in such a fair way between the races that no one decided not to raise the issue to the council.

The small gun in my hand could pose a serious issue if someone outside of Arthur's people saw it.

"It doesn't matter," he said, "keep it on you. I don't believe there will be any need for it this evening, but if I prove wrong and you're in a tight position, use it. I'll deal with the fall out afterwards."

"Are you sure?" I gingerly took the gun. If people found out that the Five were manufacturing silver bullets, even in small quantities, trouble would definitely arise.

"Yes. You know how it works?"

I nodded, I had learned to use all kinds of weapons when I turned eighteen. Although I never used guns when headhunting rogues because lead bullet wounds only irritated them.

"Good," he walked closer to me until I had to tip my head back to meet his eyes. My magic buzzed under my skin. "Stay close to me tonight. You and Charles are coming as my guards so no one will find it odd. You will be scrutinized, ogled at and maybe provoked. Stay calm."

My nod was jerky from the butterflies in my stomach. I hated being the center of attention, and I would have to endure it tonight. Great. Just great.

"What if they come?" I asked in a whisper, "what if my father comes? or someone recognizes me? What would happen?"

"What do you want to happen?" he said, "it's all up to you. Even if someone recognizes you, it will not matter. You are one of my people, now. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone, you don't even have to speak to anyone. And if your father shows up, you have the choice whether to talk to him or not. It's all your choice, you're under my protection, and only a dead person would dare harm a hair on your head."

His eyes held all kinds of dark, painful promises to anyone who threatened me. And I believed him; Arthur would not let anyone touch me. Which was ironic since I am supposed to be his guard for the evening.

Still, my nerves wouldn't settle.

"There's a chance that someone related to the death of my mother and Uncle Robert will be there, right?" I asked.