Chapter eight

They passed through the small town quickly, it was a drab place devoid of anything that would make it stand out the buildings were ramshackle and run down, the only inn was a poor affair with even poorer food and they spared only enough time to wash and eat grateful for the warmth of even the thin stew that was served a thin pale girl in her teens before exchanging their horses for fresh ones at the village smithies. 

''They are not young horses by any stretch, but they seem sturdy enough'', Edward thought as he ran his hands over the scruffy beasts. they were thick-coated, and sure-footed and would suit their needs especially once they reached the mountains. Even though they had not seen their pursuers he did not fool himself into thinking that they were safe, they wouldn't be safe until they reached Whitepeak and even then there was no guarantee that they would take him and the boy in. He did not doubt they would take Rosalind, but would they give sanctuary to him and the boy? 

The fey were a guarded people and with good reason to be having long since learned that their gifts left them vulnerable Their allies were few, the elves, and a few of the wolf packs but most of the rest hunted them to use their gifts of foresight and prophesy, thinking to gain an advantage, werewolves, and humans alike had put a price on their heads through the centuries. Unsurprisingly, they mostly kept to themselves in their mountain strongholds. Edward's thoughts strayed again as to how Rosalind had ended up in the hands of a tavern keeper in a village hundreds of leagues from her people and home. Shaking the blacksmith's hand he handed him some of their precious coins and led the horses to where Rosalind and the boy waited

''They are a scruffy pair, but they are healthy and strong and they will be better suited to the mountain passes, we best mount up and get moving we have a lot of ground to cover''. 

He helped the boy into the saddle and mounted behind him nodding to Rosalind to do the same. they continued mostly in silence with Rosalind trailing behind him for several miles before he turned his horse northward and kicked it to a canter.  The light was becoming darker when Rosalind drew her horse alongside his 

"Edward, will we be stopping soon?" 

She looked weary and pale, the boy he knew was already asleep from his dead weight in his arms he had been so deep in his thoughts he had not noticed that the day was already drawing to a close. he glanced about him to see if he could see any likely shelter but there was none the plains stretched for miles in every direction in the distance he could see the mountains they seemed so close but he knew that they were further away than they looked. They would have to sleep on the open flat plain which meant that any fire would be seen for miles, it was not going to be a comfortable night. sighing He reigned in his horse dismounting before reaching up to pull the boy from the horse, Darius barely stirred it was good they had stopped for food as he doubted he would wake again before morning. 

He held him in his arms as Rosalind unpacked his covers laying them on the ground he placed the boy onto them before wrapping them around him, Rosalind was unpacking their covers from her horse, and he hobbled the horses to prevent their wandering off in the night before placing his hands on her arms bent his face into her neck breathing in her scent, it calmed him and his wolf relaxing them after the long days ride. Rosalind shivered at his touch as his fingers brushed her arms in soothing strokes.

She leaned into his touch resting her back against his chest relishing the feeling of peace she found there. she turned in his arms kissing him softly on his lips "You should eat Edward and get some sleep" It worried her, that he looked so tired. He needed food and rest and she aimed that he should get as much as he could.

They walked over to where the boy was sleeping and laid their covers down before sitting on them to eat some bread and dried meat, it was comfortable just sitting together like this, Rosalind was relishing in her new place in the world she finally had found peace and she would fight to keep.

Storm Born Book OneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara