Chapter three.

He had found a stream near the cave and led the horses down to drink, he leaned against a tree as they dipped their heads into the bubbling water to drink greedily they had not been watered since yesterday and were thirsty. Ned watched as they dipped their heads drawing in great drafts when they were finished he led them back up the slight incline to the cave retying them to the small tree growing in the opening of the cave.

Rosie had busied herself making up a small fire her hair was falling soft about her face unbound in loose curls in the growing light it had taken on a silvery sheen. he smiled leaning up against the entrance, watching as she busied herself packing away their makeshift bed.  her voice broke him from his thoughts.

"If you've had your fill of staring Ned you could give me a hand". she looked up at him her pale grey eyes sparkling with amusement.

He pushed himself off the wall and walked to her bending to lift a corner he began to shake out a cover it had gathered a considerable amount of dust from the floor, which now filled the cave making Them cough as it billowed in the air around them.

"Maybe should have taken it outside to shake it" She coughed placing her hand over her mouth.

"Lesson learnt" he grinned "I will remember not to do that again" his voice tight from trying not to breathe in the dust that was floating around them to settle once more on the floor of the cave. they packed away the rest of the things and saddled up the horses all that remained was to wake the boy, they needed to be leaving to put distance between them and the wolves pursuing them and the sun was already biting into the day.

Rosie started making some breakfast over the fire while Ned made his way to the back of the cave to rouse the boy from his sleep. Darius was lying face down, butt in the air as he had when he was a baby, his curly dark hair tousled with sleep his face looked even younger than his ten years he looked peaceful in his sleep and for that Ned was grateful, he aimed to keep it that way no need for the boy to be overburdened with fears at his age, he nudged him and Darius whined in his sleep making ned chuckle before grabbing the covers and yanking rolling the boy out onto the cave floor. 

"Ned" he whined rubbing his sleep-filled eyes.

Time to wake up Rosie is getting some breakfast ready then we must be on the road again the boy nodded pulling himself to his feet take your cover outside and give it a shake before you toll it will be dusty so try and face away from the cave. Darius nodded and bent to pick up the cover trailing it on the floor as he walked to the cave entrance. 

"Pick the cover up boy it is not a broom" Ned called after him.

Darius looked behind him at the cover dragging through the dust his cheeks reddened as he quickly gathered it up into his arms before scuttling out of the door. 

Ned returned to the fire and sat on the floor watching Rosie as she worked, how had he never noticed how uniquely beautiful she was it was not her looks it was her she was kind, funny, generous, and selfless, why had it taken him so long to admit that he loved her? 

"Because you were waiting for our mate? or was it because of who she is?" his wolf voiced "Because of what she is?"

He shut down his wolf blocking him from his thoughts. He did not want to think about what she had been, he only wanted to focus on what they could be. He knew his wolf cared for the woman as well he had been at him for years to confess his feelings for Rosie he had long ago given up on finding their mate, In truth what could he have done? 

He was no fool he knew the landlord kept a tight leash on his girls he was a businessman, they made him money, and he would not lightly allow a girl to just leave. He had heard rumours that he had bought the girls that he owned them. He did not want to think about the possibility of the landlord chasing after them to drag Rosie back he would kill the man before he allowed that to happen. His wolf could be blunt with truths he would rather not give thought to. He reached up pulling her to him. "Sit Rosie for a moment you have been bustling about since dawn have five minutes while the food cooks".