Chapter five

He woke cramped and stiff from lying on the cold ground, he opened his eyes slowly prolonging those few moments between sleep and awake for a few moments longer. He could hear Rosie moving about the cave and wondered why she had not woken him already, he opened his eyes reluctantly and looked to where the boy still lay sleeping, he looked peaceful lying there and he wished he could leave him to sleep a little longer, He must have been exhausted they had travelled a long way in the last couple of days, but they must eat and be on their way again.  rising he strapped on his sword it still felt odd to him to have it hanging from his waist again. he had not worn it since arriving at the croft and only took it from its hiding place rarely to clean it and to practise whenever he could which had been not as often as he would have liked.  

He had seen Darius looking at it curiously over the last couple of days and was surprised that the boy's normal curiosity had not gotten the better of him but he had been very quiet too quiet. leaning down he picked up both saddles and walked over to the horses,  patting them both in turn before placing the saddles on their backs. well, he could not waste time sleeping any longer walking across to where the boy was still lying he shook his arm gently, "Darius wake up boy" Darius grumbled and rolled over burying his face into his arms. He shook his arm again more firmly this time  "Come on son it is time to wake we'll eat first then be on our way". 

Darius rolled over and opened his eyes, sleepily blinking against the harsh sunlight that was already piercing into the depths of the outcrop., he looked confused for a moment, and he glared crossly at Ned before he caught sight of Rosie smiling he got up and rushed over to where she was busy rummaging in their belongings for food.  he walked over and ruffled the boy's hair. let's eat I want us to leave in the next hour it is already later than I would have liked''. 

They ate silently each seeming lost in their thoughts, it was Darius who broke the silence first,

"Ned, why are we leaving? will we be going home again soon?'' 

Ned could see in his face that he was afraid and unsure, he could not blame him for that after all he had not even explained to the boy why they had left their home and the moors, he sighed "I will tell you soon son, but not right now when we have put enough distance between us and those men I will tell you I promise". he tussled his hair and smiled, now eat up we need to get going''.

The boy nodded enthusiastically and snatched up a piece of bread cramming it into his mouth, it had been a long ride yesterday and they had been too tired to eat last night so he was ravenous as he ate He watched Ned and Rosie chatting, sharing bread and salted meat between them. It made him smile, Ned looked different he had always been a giant of a man but now he seemed stronger somehow. HIs eyes glanced towards the sword ned had layed on the ground next to him, He had not even known he had a sword yet he held it as if it were a part of him like it was an extension of his arm, ''had Ned been a warrior? would he teach me to use it?''  Darius was filled with curiosity, but even though he was burning to know what was going on he knew instinctively that if Ned had been keeping secrets about their current situation it had to be serious. He walked over and sat down opposite them Rosie passed him a water flask and he drank from it thirstily 

"Are you coming with us, Rosie? Will she stay with us Ned?" he asked, wiping his mouth on the back of his sleeve.  He had the sudden thought that Rosie may not stay with them when they got to wherever they were travelling to and he did not like the idea he wanted her to stay.

"Rosie is to stay boy, now hurry up and finish your food". Ned replied gruffly.

Darius grinned widely and stuffed a large mouthful of bread into his mouth chewing hungrily.