The True Heir

The crypt door creaked closed in front of Virgil. He wasn't entirely sure what happened. He was against the wall one minute and the next he was standing staring at the door to the crypt with bloody hands. He felt his heart pounding in his chest. After all of this tonight he only hoped the Prince family was safe.
   "You did good Virgil," Virgil didn't move, he recognized the voice. The same voice he watched get dragged away the day he got pulled into this vampire mess. "You should get some rest."
   Virgil turned around. "What about you, Joan?" Virgil's voice was calm but determined.
   "I'll go back home. It's been years since I was home. I couldn't go back because she was there. I'm sure my partner Talyn misses me. I still can't understand how they stand the smell of a vampire," They chuckled. "Wolves confuse me. But in all seriousness. I will be going home. You should try to relax some, start a life. I'll be back in a few years from now to take those brands off you. You'll know it's time when your hunger gets the most persistent. But do me a favor and don't starve yourself this time."
   "Right, but why not remove the brands now?" Virgil asked a little confused.
   "I need another blood moon on this day that year." They looked up as the last of the blood moon eclipse disappeared. They looked back at Virgil, "Just be ready when I come. It will be a painful experience."
   Virgil held the remainder of jacket in his hands and  turned to walk away.
   "Hey Virgil," They called, "Don't be shy to that Princes son. When he's older, tell him how you feel."
   Virgil was confused. The kid was a high schooler and had no idea Virgil existed. "Ok?"
   And they both went separate directions.