Chapter 21

Recap

"Why didn't I hear it?"

"Because my senses are better than yours," he responded.

There was movement in a bush close by. John was in front of me in a second guarding me from whatever was in there. I couldn't see anything due to his back blocking any view I had of the bush. I heard something move again....

_______________________________________________________________________________

"What is it?" I whispered to John.

"Sshh. It hasn't come out yet---wait, it moved again."

He was right. The bush did move again. I peeked from around his arm and saw something starting to move through the bush.

"A spider!" a little girls voice shrieked.

Wait a minute. I know that voice, Isn't that...

"Cathy?"

The little girl fell from the bushes and smiled shyly at us. Her brother came after her and also ended up falling.

"Uh hi?" She waved.

They both looked like they've been caught doing something they weren't suppose to. I walked over to them and put my hands on my hips.

"What are you doing here?" 

They grinned at me sheepishly. After a while Lucas spoke up, "Uh we---ah saw you!"

"And you decided to follow me?"

"We wanted to see you!" Cathy blurted out.

"But we got lost," said Lucas.

"Who was taking care of you?" asked John.

"A girl and a boy named Chewlsea and Jack. We wa playing hide and seek, and then we saw you and followed you," said Cathy.

"And then we got lost," said Lucas.

"So it was you I heard," said John.

"Yeah," said Cathy.

She lift herself of the dirty ground and wiped the dirt of her dress, making a face when one part didn't come off. Lucas stayed on the ground smiling like he couldn't care less. What is up with little boys and getting dirty?

"Ew, Lukey, youw getting dirty!" Cathy said pointing at his shirt.

"So? These awen't my cowths, and I can take a showa later." He grinned. "With bubbles!" He threw his hands in the air.

I laughed at them. They are so adorable.

"Come on, let's get you back." I held out my hand for Cathy to take. She put her tiny hand in mine and smiled.

"Come on, Lucas." John reached for Lucas, but he rolled away.

"No! I wan't to pway." He rolled around the ground while laughing. "Ow! I poked ma eye."

He sat up and started rubbing his left eye.

"See? That's why you don't goll on the gwound with sticks," said Cathy.

"It was fun."

John took this as an opportunity and picked him up. He lifted him up and put him on his shoulder like he weighed no more than a feather.