Chapter 27: Guardian Grandpa

Start from the beginning

"You're hurt."

"I'm fine, I just might have... slapped someone a bit too hard."

     "That's not like you," he began, giving me a quick look over, I assume for any more injuries

"That's not like you," he began, giving me a quick look over, I assume for any more injuries. "You haven't gotten in a fight with anyone since grade school. What did this Zachary do to you?"

"He-"

"Mr. Hartmann, the principal will see you now," Sharon the assistant cut in. She didn't approach my grandfather like she did Casimir, only eyed him warily from her desk.

"One moment please, I need to speak with my granddaughter," he responded. The assistant made a face but covered it up quickly as she picked up the phone to make a call. We had barely begun to talk when the principal stepped out of his office, I was betting he just received a call from a certain assistant named Sharon.

"Mr. Hartmann sir," Mr. Williams said, attempting to catch my grandfather's attention. Grandpa sighed and stood up to his impressive height of 6' 5", the principal's eyes widened as he watched him rise. "Could you please step into my office, Diana can come too."

We followed Mr. Williams back into his office and I sat back into the chair I had occupied only a few hours ago. My grandfather stared down at the small armchair and sniffed, knowing he wouldn't fit into its tiny frame. The principal stopped short when he noticed my grandfather was lingering at the edge of his desk, arms crossed, just staring.

"I'm s-sorry, I can find another chair if you'd like," Mr. Williams said, stumbling over his words.

"No need, I can stand," Grandpa grumbled, he sounded angry. "I'm sorry it took me so long to get here but please tell me what is going on. I'm afraid your secretary was short on the details."

"Yes, well, unfortunately, there has been an incident involving your granddaughter. The fact is that Diana has been fighting with a fellow student," Mr. Williams began, pulling my file out from under a stack of papers. "She hit a student in the face after a verbal altercation."

"I see," my grandfather responded simply, his eyes never leaving Mr. Williams. I could feel how nervous Grandpa was making him and I had to stop myself from smiling. "Diana, why did you hit this person?"

"Zachary was saying something very rude and then he held me down in my chair, so I asked him to stop. When he didn't I got mad and hit him," I said, trying to look remorseful. I was too embarrassed to describe his disgusting sexual comments.

"He put his hands on you?" Grandpa asked, bristling slightly. He knew Zachary was being controlled by the Dark King's minions so the bully was already on my grandfather's radar.

"There were no witnesses who saw that," Mr. Williams cut in. It was my turn to look angry as I don't know how the principal would know any of this. No one else besides myself and Zachary told our story. Although I knew that if Scott or Will had been asked they would lie. It seemed like Mr. Williams was just ready to side with Zachary regardless of the facts.