Chapter 30 - Lockdown

Start from the beginning

A grainy image taken from a beachside highrise apartment showed three MechaBlitz attack crafts hovering out over the surface of the water, lit only by the moonlight peaking through the thin streaks of clouds like veins in the sky.

"After appearing from three different directions about an hour ago, they haven't moved, and what's more, they're just watching the evacuation. Something's not right."

Bulwark and Photon sat down.

"You think these movements are a ploy?"

Dr. Atomic gave a troubled nod. "If we all go, we'd leave the rest of America undefended. Justice, Rescue, Liberty, Grizzly, and the local Supers will have to handle this."

Zero cleared his throat and raised a hand. "But our Spear-"

"Is not ready. They are still too green." Dr. Atomic snapped.

"They're more prepared than you give them credit. Far better equipped for this life than we were all those years ago. We got here without training, without the Academy - without Mentors. You can't tell me you've forgotten." Zero answered calmly.

Around the table, heads nodded in agreement.

Photon chuckled. "You should see Pain clear a room, I don't know what it is, but she's got it. Zero's right; we're a month away from instating them anyway."

The Head Sentinel forlorn eyes looked out at the room, meeting each gaze in turn. "The fate of the world is at stake. I can't take that risk."

"Bah!" Bulwark yelled. "You've been paranoid since Red Global messed up your face in the Rockies."

Stillness gripped Dr. Atomic's body as his face grimaced with pain and embarrassment. He gently touched his cheek in remembrance and opened his mouth to speak when a loud buzz caught everyone's attention.

It came from the Omicron Beta.

Looking almost relieved not to have to address the awkward exchange, Dr. Atomic nodded to the colossal android.

"The Spire is detecting a distress signal... from Grizzly."

The room went silent, and Zero stood - a doorway of shadows coalescing out from the floor behind his seat. He nodded toward the portal.

"If our resident wrecking ball is calling for help, we should hurry."

All traces of the intimate confrontation that could have ensued disappeared. Bulwark charged through without question, but Photon gave the portal a sideways glance.

"It's perfectly safe, Photon. Just get in the transport."

The Sentinel shrugged and activated his powers. "I can make it to Neo Paolo faster than the Orbital Drop Transport, no offense. Getting shot out of a cannon isn't really my speed." Green lightning started arcing across his body, and with a flash, he was gone.

Zero looked for Dr. Atomic only to see that the Sentinel commander hadn't moved. "Thelo, don't be so sensitive. What Bulwark said wasn't pleasant, but he wasn't wrong. You've never been the same after that mission in the Rockies."

Dr. Atomic didn't react - glazed eyes staring into the distance. His lips moved, but no sound came out.

"Othelius. Ahem... Dr. Atomic!" Zero snapped his fingers in front of his friend's face.

The vacant expression gradually filtered out, and Dr. Atomic looked up. "I can't leave. What if Red Global attacks the Chancellor or the Spire while we're in Brazil? If Omicron Beta is going, only I can monitor our main cities. Only I can keep them safe" His eyes drifted off.