Chapter 6 - Out of the Frying Pan

Jimmy had fear painted on his face. "What's going on, Gabe?"

"A Sentinel Strike Force is here. They ran into the security team you mentioned on the way in. They're still there, maybe we can catch them before they move on. Get away from Lucian while there's still time.

They might be powerful, but they can't beat him. We need to call for more help. Can you reach the authorities?"

Jimmy waved his Wrist-Pad. "The software stops us from using our Wrist-Pads to contact the outside, and they take our phones at the security checkpoint in the lobby." He made a face. "This might be our only shot. I'm in."

Gabriel turned to go when Jimmy put a hand on his shoulder. "Wait. I have to deactivate the anxiety chip." He pulled a small white object from his coat pocket. A controller with two buttons on its face.

"I reprogrammed this remote, once the chip is shut down Iodine won't be able to turn it on again. Stay still." He held the remote towards Gabriel and pressed a button.

The plastic controller beeped. "There, it's done. How do you feel?"

Gabriel didn't feel any different. He was about to ask if it had worked when he had an idea, picturing himself sitting on a white sandy beach, and waited for the panic.

The fear didn't slam into him this time, instead, Gabriel could feel it creep. He took a deep breath and calmed himself, imagining waves crashing on the shore. The sun warmed his face while the wind whispered through his hair.

He smiled, certain his unstoppable phobia of the outside world was gone. There might still be residual trauma to his psyche but he could manage it on his own.

"It's done," Gabriel said to his caretaker. "Thank you, Jimmy. I can't ever repay you."

At his words, Jimmy's face fell. He sniffled, eyes watering. "It's my fault you ever had to deal with that pain. I am so sorry."

The Super shook his head. "You had no choice. You could have ended up like Harold if you'd done anything. You have nothing to blame yourself for. You gave me joy. I mean you played with me when I was little! I've always considered you the closest thing to a father I would ever have. Thank you." He embraced Jimmy, careful not to squeeze too hard.

Tears falling freely, Jimmy pressed himself against Gabriel. "You don't know how much it means to hear you say that." He chuckled. "I've always thought of myself more like your mother though."

Gabriel laughed. "We should go."

They crossed the lab and reached the thick metal door. Using his suit Gabriel hacked the mainframe and opened the security slab, then the main door. They started sprinting like their lives depended on it, because it did.

As they passed lab after lab Gabriel thought about what would happen next. Could he leave in good conscience while Lucian was on the loose? Then again, what could he even do? His brother's power was on a scale few had ever reached.

Gabriel found it odd that Holmes had risked using a mental blast against Lucian. He could have invaded his mind and wiped his consciousness.

He kept thinking about how to stop Lucian but had come up with nothing by the time they neared the training room. He prayed they didn't run into him.

"Jimmy, hold up for a second."

"What? Is it Lucian!?" Jimmy looked down the halls frantically.

Gabriel shook his head. "No, nothing like that. I need you to go in first. Anyone can tell you're a scientist. They won't attack you on sight... Probably."