Chapter 29 - A Small Step for Man

Start from the beginning

Choose Desired Location

He hit random, and the system chose Paris, France. To the Louvre!

The sunny street was crowded with pedestrians around the phone booth where Gabriel spawned. He froze at the sight of so many people. Oh, right. Any anxiety was just leftover trauma from the chip still in his head. He breathed out slowly and stepped into the throng of bodies. A number in his peripheral vision showed there were only 6 active Users in the area - every single one of the people around him was simulated. These planes were so lifelike Users could live entire lives here, and before the first invasion, almost half of the world's economic markets used the VNet to function.

Everything was easier when a Class 4 couldn't just waltz in and take off with a bank vault.

Though they seemed lively on the surface, the planes were ghost towns, but that didn't stop Gabriel from enjoying his stroll to the Louvre. He nodded at simulations that made eye contact, and they nodded back. He was beaming by the time he reached the museum - not a trace of social fear was left inside him. One man had even complimented Gabriel's shoes.

The paintings were astonishing, and he took every chance to get a closer look at the fine brushwork. He was leaning in close to the Mona Lisa when someone brushed up against his shoulder.

"You could take it off the wall and into the sun if you want to get a better look. The sims here haven't been set to full realism in a while." Said a petite brunette in a beige sundress.

She peered over her dark sunglasses. "I haven't seen you around here before. Been working for my father long?"

Her father?

"I think you have the wrong idea. I'm just another User in the Cyber."

She tossed her bob cut, sighed, and looked at him coyly. "Alright, whatever you say, newest babysitter. I'm Melody, but you already know that."

What an odd woman.

"I'm Gabriel." He turned back to the Mona Lisa.

Melody stood next to him in silence for a brief moment before sighing even louder. She jumped the cord and grabbed the painting from the wall before taking off sprinting. "You can see this better OUTSIDE!"

Stranger by the second.

Gabriel moved to the next painting, then the next. After a while, he left the museum and bought a crepe on the street. He was sitting on a bench tossing his final crumbs to some pigeons when a sullen Melody plopped down beside him.

"You're no fun. You have to humor me, you know. Papa will fire you if you don't. Did you not read your contract or something?" She flicked a french fry at the amassing pigeons, pouting like it was her profession.

Gabriel cocked his head. "Your dad hires playmates for you?"

"Playmate, companion, bodyguard, call it what you will." She gave him a once-over. "Are you sure you don't work for my dad?"

A raised eyebrow was all she got in response.

"How do I know you aren't here to hurt me?"

Gabriel stood up. "Look, I don't know what kind of stuff your father is into, but I'm just here to see Paris 500 years ago. I've never been outside longer than 10 minutes, so I have a lot to catch up on. Have a good one."

Notre Dame stood proud just down the street, but Luxembourg Palace across the Seine looked equally enticing. After an hour or so touring the halls and gardens of ancient royalty, the riverbank seemed a choice spot to watch the sunset. Having never tried alcohol, he bought a random bottle of wine and sat with his feet dangling above the water. While mulling over how he felt about fermented grapes, Melody struck again.