4

Billie chuckles, "You'll find out soon enough, I can already tell you're questioning."

Questioning what?

Mia looks to me as she picks up her tray, "what were you guys talking about?"

I decide to be honest, "I'm not sure. She said she could tell I was questioning? But I don't know what she means."

Mia shrugs, "Told you she was weird."

I brush off Mia's rude words and pick up my lunch tray as well, heading off to my next class: English with Billie.

When I enter the classroom, I look around for an open seat. Usually Billie leaves her bag in the seat next to her to avoid any social interaction, but I notice she's left the seat open today.

I take a deep breath and walk over to her, placing my bag down and pulling out my notebook.

Billie doesn't talk to me when she notices me, probably traumatized from this morning when she got in trouble, but she sends me a sweet smile.

I blush and return the gesture before turning my attention to the teacher that just started talking, "We have a book report project coming up, and today we will assign partners," I don't get nervous, knowing most of the class will want to pair up with me, "You may choose your partners when I say 'go', and write your names on the rubric when you've done so, so I can keep record," she pauses for a moment, "Go."

Immediately I hear, "Let's be partners, Dez," and, "Hey, Dez, you and me?" from many students walking over to me.

I smile politely at them before looking to Billie who already has the rubric out, signing only her name.

Billie usually does projects alone. I think the teachers gave up on forcing her to socialize pretty quickly, and by now, it's just expected that she does stuff by herself.

I hold up my finger to the crowd of kids nicely, and turn to Billie, getting nervous, "Hey," I say, tapping her shoulder lightly.

She jumps a little and looks up to me fearfully before realizing who it is and returning to her intimidating smirk, "Yes, Princess?"

My heart stops from the name and I freeze, just staring blankly at Billie.

She smirks, "Did you lose your voice?" she asks with a condescending tone.

I clear my throat, "uhh, no, I just wanted to be partners," I say with a quivering voice.

Billie looks past me to the awaiting students, "Don't you already have, like, 50?"

"But I wanna be partners with you, not them," I insist.

Another smirk crawls across Billie's face, "Say please."

"Please?"

"Sure, okay."

I turn my attention to the students behind me, "Sorry, guys, I'm working with Billie on this one."

They all mumble and walk away as I turn to Billie.

She blows air out of her nose in amusement, "Pathetic little fuckers."

I raise an eyebrow, "Who's pathetic?"

"Your entourage, minions, ducklings, whatever you wanna call them. They follow you around like dogs."

I furrow my brows, "They are not pathetic. They just think I'm nice, and I take pride in that."

She laughs again, writing my name next to hers on the rubric, "All those guys," she gestures to the group  of boys in my 'entourage', "They like you, Dez. Fuckin simps."

I snort, "No they don't! If they liked me they'd wanna run away from me, duh."

Billie fails miserably at holding in a laugh, "Okay, Sweetheart, whatever you say."

The name makes my heart skip a beat, but I turn my attention to the project instructions, reading them aloud to Billie, "Select your novel of choice, and do a report on such novel. ALL pairs must have me approve their novel before beginning such report. This novel should demonstrate a struggle for the main character, and you must compare/contrast such struggle to your own."

I furrow my brows, trying to think of a novel that represents a struggle I've had, "This might sound stupid, but I don't think I've ever had a struggle," I admit to Billie.

I expected her to snicker, like she does every time I open my mouth, but she just nods her head, "That's totally okay, I actually was hoping we could base it off one my my struggles."

"Oh! I didn't even think of that. I'm sorry, Billie, of course. What's your struggle?" I ramble.

A kind smile crawls across her face, "I'll bring the book to your house later today, when we work on the project together. Mrs. Brown already approved it."

"Okay, sure," I let out without thinking.

I tell her my address before the bell for the end of class rings, causing students all around us to rise and make their way out the door.

Before Billie leaves, I watch her hand lift from her lap, and tuck a piece of hair behind my ear, rubbing my shoulder lightly with her thumb, "See you later, Princess."

I shrink in my seat, blushing red, and she walks away, leaving my sight when she saunters out the doorway of the classroom.

I end up being the last student to leave, taking a couple of minutes to process what just happened before packing up my things and heading out the door.

For the rest of the school day, I don't see Mia or Billie, just getting through my last couple of classes before the end of the day.

As I walk out of the school, I see Mia waiting for me where she always does, and I quickly make my way over to her, "Hey!"

She looks up from her phone, "Oh, hey! Ready to go?"

"Uhh, I actually can't hang out today," I say hesitantly, "You're on your own with Wyatt."

She raises and eyebrow, "Why?"

"Me and my English report partner need to meet up today," I explain.

Mia nods in understanding, "Who did you pick this time?"

"Billie," I admit quietly.

I don't know why I was embarrassed to tell Mia that Billie is my partner. It's not that deep.

I just want her to be my friend.

A/n:

This is the last of the prewritten chapters so don't get used to this update schedule lol

Also your comments are sooooo cuteee like I've told you guys before how cute they are but they just are ily guys. Like idk how I got so many commenters but I'm so grateful for every one of you.

Also those of you who don't comment and just vote every time ily guys too I see you <3