ㅤㅤㅤ xii ──then the customer

asari

My eyes felt as though they'd been made of iron, heavy and adamant to weigh down to a close. Sleeping at the ripe hour of 4 and waking up at 6 wasn't one of my best moments, so I paid for it with the consequence of slightly flushed eyes and a fashionable puffy and dark undereyes.

Nothing says I'm awake better than the insomniac look.

It wasn't for any good reason either, though I didn't recognise that. I'd spent hours lying and turning in bed, my ears plugged to the sound of my haunted voicemails.

It was mostly my brother's past voicemails and occasionally the new ones my mom had sent.

I couldn't help but notice the weariness of her voice, the tremble at the end of her sentences, and every time she cleared her throat. It all made me want to call her and ask if she was okay, but I didn't want her to hear me, or start berating me only to then end with come back home right now!

I headed to my early shift at True To North with a slouch, my phone clutched in my hand as I walked down the block only to stop in front of the diner, spotting Luke's cherry red car parked right outside - gleaming, screaming at me.

Is he here?

I tried not to get my hopes up as I knew Liz used his car to get to the diner in the mornings, but something in me still hoped and hoped that he decided to drop by. That he wore his that's cool baby jacket, his taunting smirk, and that he'd pretend not to know me again in front of Liz. Maybe we could have a third introduction where I wasn't in shock at seeing him.

I found myself rushing to get in the diner, the excitement and rush of nervousness peeling at my heels as I made my way past his car and pushed through the diner doors.

The bell rang and I expected for the pairs of eyes to turn towards me, but no one did and I was held grateful for that as I realised I might've looked a little frenzied at that moment.

But there he was, perched on a bar stool with one foot resting on the floor, a boyish grin pulling on his features as Liz, sitting right by him, pointed at something in her phone.

I stared at him for a moment, just admiring. He looked more coy with his mother compared to when he was with Calum and I, far more smiley as well.

He hadn't worn his that's cool baby jacket, which took me slightly by dismay but I didn't mind it. I liked seeing that sort of style he had or preferred. This time, it was a white shirt with red sleeve hems tucked into black jeans, rather casual but somehow still slightly formal due to the tucked in look.

His hair was still ruffled and messy, honey curls looking quite dewy in the morning light. Or perhaps he'd just showered.

"Ase!" Kath's voice called for me and immediately my bubble burst.

Luke and Liz looked up and eventually made their gaze on me.

Quickly, I averted my eyes to Kathleen standing behind the counter waving joyously at me. "Good morning. You're a little late,"

I laughed awkwardly and made my way to the counter, holding my bag with an iron grip as my palm began warming up. "Haha, yeah. Good morning," I choked out, fully aware how Luke's eyes seemed to be following my every movement and motion I made.

Kath patted my arm as she walked towards the cashier, her eyes glancing at mine and widening very quickly. Clearing her throat, she nudged her head subtly towards Luke's direction.