ix. neurasthenia

nine - neurasthenia

- - - ➳

the morning cinna and portia wake us up from our now peaceful slumber is one i will never forget. i am curled up in a ball on one end of the sofa while matthias is sprawled out on the other. we both look very sleep-deprived and have extremely messy hair when they rouse us from sleep. 

the two of us share a knowing look when we see who has woken us. my frightened brown eyes find his blue ones, finding the same fear mirrored in them. all thoughts of fatigue are zapped from my body. 

cinna is already urging me along, so i quickly tell matthias, "good luck."

our stylists hand us each loose, simple clothes to wear and then guide us to the roof, where a hovercraft appears out of thin air. a ladder drops down and i start to climb, but instantly some invisible force glues me to the rungs and i am unable to move at all. i stay put, horrified, as i ascend higher and higher into the air and become farther and farther away from matthias, portia, and cinna on the rooftop.

when i get inside, the ladder still does not release me. a capitol woman in a pure white coat approaches me. she has a syringe in her hand. "it's just your tracker, thalia," she explains when she notices my widened eyes. "stay still."

i'm still completely immobile, but that has no effect on the stinging pain that flares through my body as the device is pressed deep into the skin on my forearm.

the instant it's in place, i'm released. the woman leaves and cinna is retrieved from the roof. i notice matthias and portia aren't with us, but know better than to ask questions. an avox leads us to a room where breakfast is prepared, but all i taste is sawdust. despite this, i consume as much as i can, staring out the window for a while.

i must have been in a trance because suddenly the windows black out, signaling we must be close to the arena. we are not supposed to know where we are. i notice my food is now ice cold and push my plate away.

soon the hovercraft lands and i go back down the ladder into a system of tunnels below the arena. we follow our instructions and head to my preparation chambers, an area completely white and lifeless. it's perfect for the last place i'll see before the games.

i quickly shower but savor the feel of the rushing water over my skin, the smell of the soap, and the sensation of being clean. who knows? this could be my last shower.

when i'm finished, cinna styles my hair into my usual style – the ponytail with a thick section wrapped around the band – but much better than i ever could've done. then the clothes arrive in a box, and because my hands are trembling so violently, cinna also helps me dress. the nylon shoes are so light they feel like air. a stretchy, blue jumpsuit covers me from neck to ankle. a thick purple belt is wrapped around my waist. "the suit's going to offer little protection against cold and water," cinna comments as he examines my attire. "i don't know what you should expect."

great. those aren't the words i want to hear.

"your district token." cinna pulls out my silver phoenix pin from his pocket. i wonder how in the world he got ahold of it, considering i had been wearing it at all times up until now, but again, i ask no questions. he fastens it onto the arm of the suit and slides up a black pad-type material to conceal it. "everything feel comfortable?"

i walk, run around, swing about, and jump. "yes. everything feels fine."

"now we just have to wait for the call," cinna explains. "think you can eat more?"

i shake my head 'no' at the food, but ask for a glass of water that i take tiny sips of as i pace around the room. i am restless when i'm nervous. scratch that. i'm not even nervous anymore; that word can't begin to explain what i'm feeling. i am flat-out terrified. i'm a jumbled mess of emotions. my hands shake so badly i have to put the glass down in fear i'll drop it. my mouth feels like it has been stuffed with cotton. i fight to hold my breakfast down.

cinna comes and sits me down on the sofa. he takes my cold, unsteady hands in his and rubs comforting circles into them. i don't speak, worried that it will cause me to throw up.

then a female, robotic voice is telling us it's time to prepare for launch.

my head snaps toward cinna, my eyes wide as they can be in fright. my mouth drops open. i could be dead in five minutes. or an hour. i could die.

my horrid, traumatizing thoughts from last night are returning. i can't breathe. cinna has to guide me to the circular metal plate with his arm around my shoulders in support. i can't breathe. i can't breathe.

i can't breathe.

cinna squeezes my hands tightly. he uses a finger to force my chin upward and looks me in the eyes. "be strong. be brave. be the thalia you were in private training. be the thalia i know you can be." he kisses me on the forehead. the glass cylinder closes around me.

i stand as straight as i can, though i'm feeling a bit claustrophobic. i steady my breathing as best as i can. the cylinder rises and i am encased in complete darkness for fifteen seconds. then the metal plate pushes me out into the arena. the sunlight blinds me and already the hot, humid air is horrible. the sound of waves crashing against land fills my ears.

and then claudius templesmith's voice is booming all around me,

"ladies and gentleman, let the seventy-fifth hunger games begin!"

gif is thalia when she looks at cinna all scared and stuff poor thalia

------

IMPORTANT: THIS IS NOT EDITED BC IM SUPPOSED TO BE IN BED RN SHHHH BUT I WANTED TO GET THIS POSTED FOR YOU GUYS

if there are any mistakes please tell me nicely!!

ily all very much and sorry for the wait!!

xoxo,
kristyn