5: Fanning the flames

Start from the beginning

I paused. "If it's worth anything, you are a much stronger trainer than I was when I became champion."

"That can't be true," he said, scratching his head. "I didn't even win."

"It is," I insisted, standing up. "The Alola League was quite... primitive when I won the championship. Alola in general is much stronger now than three years ago, and so are you. Elio, there's a reason you're the first trainer I've ever taught; I recognize myself in you. There's a little fire in you. Sometimes it gets smaller, but it never stops burning. As your teacher, I take responsibility for your fire becoming so small now, but let's change that."

"What are you saying?"

"We aren't gonna fight this mental block of yours with words," I said, unclipping a Pokeball. "Elio, let's fan your flames,"

"It won't change anything, but why not. He said, unclipping a pokeball."

"Go Persian/Charizard!"

"You're using Charizard," he choked. "Well this won't last long."

"A battle is as long as the loser says it is. Now Charizard, use flamethrower."

"Persian dodge. Get in close and use Payback."

"Clever, tying your ability into your battle style. Charizard, fly up high. He's trying to force this into a close-range match. His ability is Fur Coat, so most physical attacks won't do any good. Fly up and use Flamethrower"

"Flying away? Well we'll bring you down. Use Rain Dance."

Charizard's flamethrower petered out due to the sudden onslaught.

"Great, now my new clothes are wet," I grumbled.

"Your loss! Persian, keep up the pressure with Thunder!"

"Fly above Persian," I said calmly, as a bolt of lightning came down from the heavens. Charizard dodged at the last possible second, scorching Persian in his own attack."

"Charizard!" I scolded. "Be more careful. That almost hit you. Use Sunny Day before that happens again, assuming Persian can still fight."

After a few seconds, the sky cleared and the determined cat pokemon lifted himself off the ground. "We can still fight!" Elio cheered. I smiled. "Charizard, fire a Solar Beam" I said, wiping beads of sweat off from my forehead.

"Quick, dodge and get in close with Dig!"

"Earthquake," I commanded. Charizard quickly halted the Grass-type move in favour of the ground one, but Persian quickly jumped out of the hole before. The feline was still knocked off his feet though. "While it's on the ground, finish it with Flare Blitz!"

Persian quickly got back on his feet. "It's over," Elio said. "Point-blank Power Gem!"

My eyes widened as Dozens of Ocean-Blue gems crashed into Charizard at a breakneck pace. Charizard was slammed into a tree, at the mercy of the powerful Rock-Type attack. Suddenly, the flame on Charizard's tail doubled in size and turned bright blue. I smirked, "You're not the only one who uses abilities for an advantage. Charizard, use a Blaze-powered Fire Blast!"

Needless to say, the power gems disintegrated. Persian tried to dodge, but his rear-end was hit by the blast, sending him flying. Charizard quickly flew up and caught him, bringing him safely to the ground. "Persian, are you okay?" Elio asked.

"Persian," he replied.

"I think he is," I said."He looks exhausted more than anything."

"Well that makes sense. We haven't had a battle in... well, a month really."

"And how did it feel?"

"Exhilarating! I can't believe I was scared of this! It was awesome, even though we were destroyed!"

"Yeah, Charizard and I had fun too, destroying you I mean," I said, petting the dragon-like pokemon on the head. "You should probably take Persian to the Pokemon Center though, just in case."

"While I'm there, I guess I'll get registered."

I smiled. "Elio, I have something to give to you."

"What is it?" He asked.

"Well, while I was in Wyndon-"

"You went to hell?!"

"Listen, it wasn't my first choice either, but anyway. I met a professor named Cerise. Two of them, actually, but the younger one gave me four mega stones found in Alola."

"There are Mega Stones in Alola?!"

"Yeah, I thought that too. Anyway, she said to help with research, I should give them to other strong Alolan trainers to see if they react with any of them."

"Wait... don't tell me..."

"Yes, Elio. I want you to have one."

He stood speechlessly. "I'm honoured... Alola mega evolved... yes!"

I took the stones out of my bag. "Take your pick," I said.

He inspected them for a moment. "Can I have two? To give one to Selene."

"About that... I don't think I'll give her one. She's a competent trainer, but I know better Alolan trainers. The same cannot be said for you."

"But..."

"She's a genius, never let her go," I blurted, "but she's not exactly a fighter. Not like you and I. I probably wouldn't have taken her as a pupil if I didn't know you."

"Okay," he said, picking the middle Mega Stone.

"If you find another strong Alola trainer, let me know about them.

"Okay."

"Oh, and make sure to train three hours a da-"

"Okay," he said, turning the corner.

I sighed, turning to Charizard. He had a guilty look on his face. I gave him a piercing glare.

"Char char zard char."

"No, I'm not mad about the Power Gem. We've trained hard against Rock-Types, but it is your natural weakness after all. I'm disappointed in your reaction to the Thunder attack."

"Zard?"

"I know you dodged it, but just barely. Your movements need to be more precise and decisive. If the wind had been blowing a different direction, you would've been struck down where you stood... or I guess, flew."

"Charizard char!"

"Oh you think you could've taken it? Let's train right here right now then. Rotom, come out. Mai, come on out as an electric type.

The mischievous mythical popped out as Yamper, and Rotom zipped out of my Phone.

"Good enough I suppose. Now Charizard, try dodge. Pikachu. Mai and Rotom, attack Charizard with Thunderbolts!"