The Next Day

"We need to do something about this food shortage, or we will starve," Kaitlyn thought to herself. As the horses pulled the wagon down the old unkempt trial, Kaitlyn saw it. A deer grazing upon the small patches of grass. Kaitlyn looked up at the driver's seat and tapped Lars' feet.

"What!" He said loudly in a panic.

"S-Stop the wagon! There is a deer that could feed us for the rest of o-our trip," Kaitlyn said quietly. Lars brought the wagon to a stop. And from atop Kaitlyn took her shot.

"I-I'm so sorry f-for this, we'll make good use out of y-you," Kaitlyn muttered before she pulled out her bow from over her shoulder. She picked out an arrow from her quiver and loaded it into the bow. She pulled back and the arrow flew through the air right into the deer's head. The deer dropped dead. Kaitlyn turned away before the arrow struck the deer.

"Why are we stopped, what's wrong now?" Zac questioned.

"I-I just shot a deer," Kaitlyn said while not making eye contact with Zac.

"Oh," Kaitlyn jumped off the wagon with unsteady feet and ran to grab the deer. She cringed at first when she gazed upon the corpse but then remembered that they will make good use out of the body. Behind her was the demeaning shape of Lars. Together they picked up the deer and walked it back to the wagon, even though Lars did most of the work.