Meredith smiled softly. "I don't have any family besides her," she said. "She made plans to get into a retirement home, and I'll call them this week to see if they can take her in soon. Then all I have to do is clean out the house and it will be put on the market."

Emma frowned. "You shouldn't have to deal with that, Meredith," she said. "And you do have family. You're apart of this family now."

Meredith shook her head. "That's very nice, Emma, and I love Derek, I really do," she said. "But this isn't your responsibility. It's mine."

"We just want to help," Emma replied, squeezing Meredith's hand. "After your mother is placed in the home, Michael and I will be more than happy to come up to Boston and help you figure out the legal hassles."

"Really, you don't have to," Meredith started, but Emma leaned forward to stop her.

"This family is not easy to get out of, Meredith," she said with a smile. "Just ask Mark. Once you're in, you're in."

Meredith smiled softly. "Thanks," she said. "I...I really like spending time here."

"I'm so glad to have met you," Emma replied. "You are the perfect girl for my son."

"Oh," Meredith said. "Um...thanks."

They heard a throat being cleared in the doorway, and turned to see Derek standing there with a smile on his face. "Pancakes are served," he announced.

Meredith smiled as she stood to face him. "Should I believe that these are actually pancakes?" she asked with a smirk.

Derek rolled his eyes as he pushed her gently through the door. "Shut up and go eat," he ordered.

"Don't tell me what to do," Derek ordered.

When he and Emma reached the kitchen, Meredith was already pouring a gracious amount of syrup over her pancakes, grinning up at him. "I think it's your dad," she said. "I'm pretty sure he knows how to cook."

Derek frowned. "I helped," he said.

Michael looked at him with a spark in his eyes before he winked at Meredith. "I don't know, Derek, I think that might have qualified as watching," he said.

"Well, maybe I'll just go back to school if everyone likes Meredith so much," Derek muttered under his breath.

"Oh, Derek, don't be melodramatic," Emma sighed. "You know we love you."

"Yeah, just not as much as Meredith," Derek pouted.

"Hey, I never had a family," Meredith shrugged. "This is just making up for lost time."

Derek couldn't help but grin at the fact that Meredith was considering apart of his family. "You are," he nodded, reaching forward to squeeze her hand.

XXXXX

"Now, don't forget that your sisters will be here on Wednesday night for Thanksgiving," Emma reminded Derek the next morning as they stood in the driveway. "I want you here then too. It's about time the family is all together again."

"We'll be here, Mom," Derek said. "Don't worry."

"Meredith," Emma said, turning to embrace her. "I'm so glad to have met you. And please don't be afraid to tell Michael and I if you need anything at all."

"Thank you," Meredith breathed, sinking into Emma's arms. "For everything."

"It's my pleasure, dear," Emma smiled before stepping back.

"Make sure you drive safe, Derek," Michael said as he clapped his son on the back. "You don't want to put this pretty girl here in danger, do you?"

"I'll be safe, Dad," Derek said as he hugged him quickly.

"And you," Michael said, turning to Meredith. "Keep him in line, will you?"

"I'll try," Meredith giggled slightly, looking down at her feet. Awkward, this was awkward.

"Get over here," Michael said, pulling her into his arms. "Shepherds like to hug."

Meredith smiled slightly as she hugged him back. She'd never had a hug from a dad before, but this felt good. Derek's dad hugging her was good, and she was glad that she'd come to his house.

"We'll see you guys at Thanksgiving," Derek said as he and Meredith climbed into the car.

"Goodbye," Emma breathed, leaning into Michael's arms as they watched the car back out of the driveway. When they were on the road, Derek turned to Meredith and asked, "how are you doing?"

"Good," she said. "I'm still...it's going to be a long journey with my mom, but I'm really glad I met your parents. They're amazing, Der."

"I know," Derek said with a soft smile. "They love you too."

"Hmm," Meredith nodded. "Thanks, Derek."

"For what?" he asked softly.

"For being you," Meredith shrugged. "For loving me. For telling your parents how amazing I am. You're the first person who's really believed in me, who's ever loved me."

"Oh, Mer," he breathed. "I do love you. And I love doing all those things for you."

"I know," Meredith nodded, squeezing his hand tightly. "I love you too."