Chapter Seven: They see the light

(Y/N) had never been so excited in her life! She made her way across the bridge, into the kingdom. Groot had to warn Steven and Levi not to fight. The townspeople were preparing for the celebration and stepping all over (Y/N)'s hair. She and Steven gathered it all up. Knowing this'll be a problem, Steven looked for a solution. He saw some girls by a fountain braiding each others hair. He whistled to get their attention and showed all of (Y/N)'s hair. That got them very excited. (Y/N) sat down and let the girls work on her hair.

Meanwhile, Steven was trying to not get caught by guards. (Y/N)'s hair was finished off with flowers to keep it together and now it was out of the way. Steven loved the new look. Levi nudged him a little as a way of saying, 'you like her.' Steven just shoved him away. (Y/N) and Steven explored the kingdom more. They were waiting in line to get some food when she saw something. A picture made of tiles of the king, queen, and the princess as a baby. (Y/N) thought the princess looked a lot like her.

But she brushed it off when she saw the people playing the music she heard. (Y/N) started to dance with the music, even getting people to join in. She tried to get Steven in on it but he didn't what to. Levi got on his shoulders and shoved him into the crowd. Levi let him go and stayed with Groot. As the day went on, Steven bought her a little flag with a sun on it, the one displayed everywhere, they danced, painted the sun on the ground, got treats, went to the library and danced some more.

The dance ended when (Y/N) and Steven finally got to each other. Someone called to get on the boats. It was almost time to release the lanterns. (Y/N), Steven and Groot got in a boat while Levi stayed behind. They got a good far out to the ocean for a good view of the lanterns that would soon be released. It was nighttime now.

"You okay?" Steven asked.

"I'm terrified," (Y/N) said.

"Why?"

"I've been looking out the window for eighteen years. Dreaming about what it would feel like when those lights rise in the sky. What if it's not everything that I dreamed it would be?"

"It will be."

"And what if it is? What will I do then?"

"Well that's the good part, I guess. You get to go find a new dream."

They waited for the lanterns. In the castle, the King and Queen were getting ready to release the first lantern. They missed their daughter but never once gave up hope that she would find her way home. These past eighteen years have been hard on them. They went to the balcony where a lantern stood. They released it into the sky making everyone in town do the same. From the water, (Y/N) and Steven had a great view of them all.

'All those days watching from the windows. All those years outside looking in. All that time never even knowing just how blind I've been,' (Y/N) sang in her mind, 'Now I'm here blinking in the starlight. Now I'm here suddenly I see. Standing here it's all so clear I'm where I'm meant to be. And at last I see the light. And it's like the fog has lifted. And at last I see the light. And it's like the sky is new. And it's warm and real and bright. And the world has somehow shifted. All at once, everything looks different, now that I see you.'

(Y/N) looked behind her to see Steven with two lanterns. Since (Y/N) was standing to see the lanterns, she sat down in front of him.

"I have something for you too," she showed him the satchel, "I should have given it to you before, but I was just scared. And the thing is, I'm not scared anymore. You know what I mean?"

"I'm starting to," Steven said smiling and making her put the satchel down.

He gave her a lantern and they let it go into the sky.

'All those days chasing down a daydream. All those years living in a blur. All that time never truly seeing things, the way they were,' Steven sang in his head, 'now she's here shining in the starlight. Now she's here suddenly I know if she's here it's crystal clear, I'm where I'm meant to go.'

'And at last I see the light,' they sang together out loud.

'And it's like the fog has lifted,' Steven sang smiling.

'And at last I see the light.'

'And it's like the sky is new,' (Y/N) sang smiling.

'And it's warm and real and bright and the world has somehow shifted. All at once, everything is different now that I see you. Now that I see you.'

Steven leaned in to kiss her but he saw something on the shore. Drax and Rocket with a green light. (Y/N) asked him if everything was okay and he assured her that it was, he just had to take care of something. He brought her back to the shore and went to give the two the satchel and crown. He left (Y/N) and Groot alone on the boat. Steven found the two and gave them what they wanted. But they didn't want the crown anymore. They wanted (Y/N). Back with (Y/N), she saw a figure come from the fog.

She thought it was Steven until two came into view. It was Drax and Rocket. They told her that Steven had left with the crown just like she feared. She didn't believe them until they pointed to him in a boat, sailing away. They told her that he traded the crown with her. Hearing that, and seeing Drax pull out a bag, she ran for it. Her hair got stuck on a log so she tried to pull it out when it sounded like the two had been hit. And they had. By Hela! (Y/N) ran to her. They hugged and Hela told her how worried she was.

She told (Y/N) to come back to the tower before the two thugs woke up. But first, she watched Steven sail away. Hela was right. She should've listened to her. Hela took her home. But Steven, he never willingly traded (Y/N) with the crown. Drax and Rocket had knocked him out and tied him to the boat to sail to the castle. He only woke up when he hit the dock. The guards took him to the prisons and Levi watched it happen from where they left him. He had to do something.