Chapter Six: Does mother know best?

Steven and (Y/N) made a camp in the forest and (Y/N) wrapped her hair around the cut on Steven's hand. Before she started to sing, she told him not to freak out. He was still confused so (Y/N) just sang her song to make her hair glow and heal his injured hand. He just watched in fascination. Once she was finished, he unwrapped her hair to see the cut healed. He was ready to freak out but (Y/N) stopped him.

"I'm not freaking out, are you freaking out? No, I'm just very interested in your hair and the magical qualities that it possesses... how long has it been doing that, exactly?" Steven asked trying not to freak out.

"Uh. Forever, I guess. Mother said when I was a baby people tried to cut it. They wanted to take it for themselves. But, once it's cut," she showed them the strand of hair Hela cut when she was a baby, "it turns brown and loses its power. A gift like that, it has to be protected. That's why Mother never let me... That's why I... I never left the..."

"You never left that tower. And you're still gonna go back?"

"No... yes. Ugh. It's complicated," Groot comforted (Y/N), "so, Steven Strange, huh?

"Ah yeah, well. I'll spare you the sob story of poor orphan Steven Strange, it's a little bit ah... It's a little bit of a downer."

(Y/N) sat closer wanting to hear his story, "there was this book. A book I used to read every night to all the younger kids. The tales of Flynnigan Ryder. Swashbuckling rogue, richest man alive. Not bad with the ladies, either. Not that he'd ever brag about it, of course."

"Was he a thief too?"

"Ahh, well no. Actually, he had enough money to do whatever he wanted to do. He could go wherever he wanted to go. And... and, for a kid, with nothing. I don't know, I... It just seemed like a better option. You can't tell anyone, about this, okay? It could ruin my whole reputation."

"Ahh, you wouldn't want that."

"Oh, a fake reputation is all that a man has."

They stared into each other's eyes before Steven broke the silence, "Um, well I should uh... I, I should get some more firewood."

"Hey. For the record, I like Steven Strange much better than, Doctor Strange," (Y/N) said smiling.

"Well, then you'd be the first. But, thank you."

Steven left. (Y/N) smiled to herself as Hela approached.

"Well, I thought he'd never leave," Hela said.

"Mother?" (Y/N) asked.

"Hello, dear."

She stammers and stands up as Hela hugged her, "How did you find me?"

"Oh, it was easy really. I just listened to the sound of complete and utter betrayal, and followed that."

(Y/N) sighed, "Mother..."

"We're going home, (Y/N). Now," Hela tried to drag her with her.

"You... You don't understand. I've been on the most incredible journey. I've seen and learned so much. I even met someone."

"Yes, the wanted thief. I'm so proud. Come on."

"Mother, wait. I think... I think he likes me."

"Likes you? Please, (Y/N), that's demented."

"But Mother, I..."

"This is why you never should have left. Dear, this whole romance that you've invented just proves you're too naive to be here. Why would he like you? Come on now, really! Look at you, you think that he's impressed? Don't be a dummy, come with mummy. Mother...'

"No!" (Y/N) snapped having enough of that.

"No?! Oh, I see how it is. (Y/N) knows best. (Y/N)'s so mature now. Such a clever grown-up Miss. (Y/N) knows best. Fine, if you're so sure now, go ahead, then give him this!' Hela showed her the satchel.

"How did you..?"

'This is why he's here!' She showed her the crown, 'don't let him deceive you!' And threw it at her, 'give it to him, watch, you'll see!'

"I will!"

'Trust me, my dear,' Hela clicked her fingers, 'that's how fast he'll leave you. I won't say I told you so,' she put the satchel on (Y/N), 'No, (Y/N) knows best! So if he's such a dreamboat, go and put him to the test!'

"Mother, wait!"

'If he's lying, don't come crying Mother knows best!'

Hela disappeared into the night. Steven was heard coming back so (Y/N) hid the satchel behind a tree and out of sight. Steven was asking if her hair would give him some sort of power as a side effect but she was thinking about what Hela said. But Hela, Drax and Rocket were watching nearby and waited for something to happen. The next morning, the three were still asleep. But Steven wasn't for long. Levi had found them, still soaking wet. Steven just looked at him and went back to sleep hoping Levi was there to apologise.

Oh, no, he wasn't! He started dragging Steven away from (Y/N) who woke up and started chasing them. (Y/N) got Steven back but Levi still had his shoe. Levi tried to charge at Steven again but (Y/N) calmed him down. Levi swore she looked familiar. Not from the chase but from somewhere else. Levi saw Groot on (Y/N)'s head but got his attention back down to (Y/N). (Y/N) got Levi to sit somehow since he's a cloak and to drop Steven's shoe. She started talking to him like a dog or a puppy and pitied him for having to chase Steven everywhere and not getting the appreciation he deserves.

And Levi agreed with her! Steven was beyond confused. How does this cloak who hates his guts suddenly turn into a soft now that there's a girl there? (Y/N) saw an embroidery in on the inside saying what he was. She was the one who named him Levi. (Y/N) convinced Levi to not get Steven arrested for a day since it was her birthday and she wanted him to take her to see the lanterns. Steven and Levi shook on it before (Y/N) heard something in the distance. It was music. It was the townspeople getting ready to let out more lanterns to bring the princess home.