XXXXX

When Derek pulled into his driveway, he smiled softly when he saw his parents sitting on the front porch swing, talking softly and sipping coffee. He could see himself and Meredith in their place in thirty years, and he suddenly felt a sting in his heart at the thought of missing her. It quickly faded away when Emma saw in and quickly pulled out of Michael's arms, rushing down the porch steps to embrace her son.

"Derek," she exclaimed. "Oh, it's so good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, Mom," he said with a smile as he squeezed her back tightly.

"Where's Mark?" Emma asked when she finally pulled back.

"He went to his house," Derek replied. "He wanted to get some stuff and he figured he should at least say hi to his parents."

"Derek," Michael said with a smile as he pulled his son into his arms. "Good to see you."

"You too Dad," Derek said, clapping him on the back.

"How's the wonderful world of neurology treating you?" Michael asked as the three of them made their way into the house.

"Pretty good," Derek nodded. "It's fascinating, and I really like it, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with it."

"That's my boy," Michael said proudly as Emma scurried them into the kitchen and poured some hot cider for Derek.

"How's Mark's girlfriend?" she asked. "I still can't believe that someone has managed to tame him."

Derek swallowed hard, knowing that this was the moment of truth. "Addison's really good at keeping Mark in line," he said. "And...it works out well because she's best friends with...Meredith."

Emma froze over the stove and turned to look at him with a sparkle in her eyes. "Who's Meredith?" she asked, not bothering to try and suppress her smile.

"Meredith is...my girlfriend."

Before he had even finished saying the word, Emma was at his side and taking him into her arms, demanding to know more about Meredith.

"Emma, calm down," Michael said, a sparkle in his eyes as well. "It's college, he's supposed to be dating."

"Oh, but I want to know about her," Emma said.

"She's wonderful," Derek smiled. "She's from Boston, and she's on the fast track to being a neurosurgeon too. And she's just...amazing."

"Oh, Derek," Emma sighed. "I'm so happy for you."

"It sounds like you've found yourself a pretty special girl," Michael said, reaching for Emma's hand. "Take it from experience, they're not easy to get, so make sure you hang onto her."

"I will," Derek smiled. He looked around for a moment before he asked, "Where are the girls?"

"Liz is at swimming practice and Caitlin's shopping with a friend," Emma said. "They're both very excited to see you."

Derek smiled as he looked around the kitchen that hadn't changed a bit in the two months he'd been gone. "It's good to be home," he said.

"It's good to have you back," Michael said. "Maybe between the two of us we can have some say in what goes on in this house full of women."

Emma rolled her eyes and Derek laughed. "I don't think that will ever happen, Dad," he said.

"Fine," Michael said. "I'm off work tomorrow, how about we head down to the lake and do some fishing?"

"That'd be good," Derek nodded. As he opened his mouth to ask what his mother was making for dinner, the back door burst open and Caitlin ran into his arms.

"Derbear!" she squealed. "I missed you!"

Derek laughed as he tightened his arms around his thirteen year old sister. "I missed you too, Caitie," he said. "I'm glad I'm home."

"You want to come see my room?" Caitlin asked, tugging on his hand. "Since Kathleen's really moved out now, I moved into her room, and now Liz and I don't have to share!"

Derek allowed his sister to pull him to his feet. "Alright, let's go," he said. He laughed as he looked over his shoulder at his parents. "I'll be back later to help with dinner," he called.

For the next hour, Derek listened to his sister chatter away about her new room and school and friends and other dealings of thirteen year old girls. When she finally ran out of things to talk to him about, she kicked him out so she could write in her diary, and he made his way to his old bedroom, smiling at the way everything had stayed the same. Since he was the only boy, he had been the only one of his siblings to keep the same bedroom for his entire life. The bookshelves were still lined with various texts from high school, the top shelf scattered with trophies and certificates. Pens and papers were still scattered across his desk, but his bed was neatly made, and the posters of the Clash and pictures of the family were still completely intact. It was clear that his parents didn't want to change his room, even if he wouldn't be living there very much anymore.

With a soft smile, Derek pulled a picture of him and Meredith out of his backpack and placed it next to a picture of his family on his nightstand, nodding in approval. She fit, next to his family. He sighed as he collapsed onto the bed and ran a hand through his hair, wondering what she was doing at that moment. He hadn't expected to miss her as much as he did, and he briefly wondered if calling her already would seem pathetic.

"Derek!" his mother called up the stairs. "You have a phone call!"

Derek jumped off the bed, hoping that it was Meredith and he would no longer have to worry about missing her. "Thanks, Mom," he breathed as he took the phone she was holding out at the bottom of the stairs. He sank onto the steps and smiled widely as he heard Meredith's voice greet him.

Suddenly, he didn't miss being at college anymore.