8.1. Against the Clock

Start from the beginning

"Right you're," he said, his voice slightly cracking with tiredness. "Then the only option you have is to state your point directly in front of the Panchayat. Of course, you're a strong member with equal status now. Sure the Kings will not have a right to demand answers from you, but they will ask questions, in a rather polite manner to see how you react and then bust a move. So, you should be able to keep your patience in check and make enough time to deal with Panchayat. The one-off deal, is it? So, make full use of it."

That seemed to have, perhaps unintended, but an implication. "Understood."

"Here's another tip," he said, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder, lending a notion that his belief in me had spiked tenfold. "Kings of Paramarashtra are neither friends nor enemies. All they care about is to have an upper hand in any kind of dire situation. They will not easily surrender to your wants and needs. Getting them to agree on anything will be another challenge you need to face up ahead. On top of that - like it or not - you will always be Harsh's grandson and you know how his relationship with the rest of the Kings was. Plus, Bhupathi Garg, his son, and Jyran Kerenza's back-to-back murders have also rendered more suspicions and doubts on you. You're not totally off the hook, Hayden. And I doubt you'll ever be. So, head's up for what's coming to you."

"I can live with that," I said lowly. "Thank you, Your Majesty."

"Speaking about personal life," he said. "Aren't you twenty-one already?"

A heavy hammer clattered down onto something metal in the construction area. A cloud of dust and smoke rose in the walls of the verandah. I frowned, feeling the slight throb in my head. Certainly, the topic had changed to something more unpleasant and had nothing to do with the lessons on politics and theories of power anymore. Please don't make me regret allowing you to lecture me. "Yes. It's my first day past the twenty-first."

"Well, I know for many youngsters it's a taboo subject but as an elderly man and a well-wisher I need to remind you that Harsh had your mother when he was about your age."

I was keenly aware of how I must be looking while I shuffled at my feet and grimaced as though hot air had blasted on my face. I rubbed my nape. The elderly King was musing a lot about the past. "Yes, the subject is taboo and I'm glad we're on the same terms."

"I'm serious, Hayden. You better make a note of it that having a family of your own is important before Panchayat demands an heir and embarrasses you in front of other kings, more than you are right now."

"I will take care of it, Your Majesty," I said at once, trying to be as polite as a convict begging for early release. King Aghasthya by no means seemed to be put off by my reluctance to speak of this topic. "Please, let me focus on Shashi for the moment."

"Your friends told me to find you here." A familiar voice but with a strangely different tone came from inside the palace. Ashwant Veer and Naag were rushing out into the verandah, with unusual grim expression, their rapid footsteps thumping against the floor.

The Diamond User's condition did not seem any better than mine. There were slight grey rings of sleeplessness under his eyes, hair disheveled and covered with snowflakes in places. He was dressed the same as yesterday-jeans, a plain white shirt, and a jacket, but with patches of soot and scum stamped here and there. Naag's exposed skin was covered with soot as well, shiny with sweat, and his snake snoozing off around his waist. He came over, gave the Paramarashtrian hello gesture to King Aghasthya and me, and calmly stood behind his master.

"There's been a situation," Ashwant said in a low hissing voice. "Someone broke into Panchayat's depository last night and exploded the good part of it. The Maiden's Cup. It's gone."