8.1. Against the Clock

Start from the beginning

I held the rail on the porch and stared down at a few knights with the workers holding a variety of construction tools hurrying towards the damaged area of the palace. "Alright, I can do that. The High King already knows that Shashi is going to release his clash and that I'm going to go after him. I'm fairly sure he'll agree with my propositions. So, I seriously doubt there's anything else I need to worry about, is there?"

"Actually, there is." the King said to my surprise. "Tyrell Kissler."

I turned and looked questioningly at him.

"Celina is free to go," he explained. "She belongs to Rawat, and so does Pruthvi. Now that Rawat has its own King I don't get to command them anymore. I permit Leena to work with you, so we're good with the three of them. But unfortunately, you and I don't have a say regarding Tyrell's situation."

"I need him," I said strictly, with a voice that brooked no argument. "He is the only one who can explain to me about this dark magic. Four of them are efficient in different fields besides Formation and I want to work with them in a highly confidential manner. Isn't it obvious that we all need some quick resolutions?"

"Hayden, listen to me," he said standing straight and folding his hands. "You must be prepared for the rigors of your journey ahead as a King. You've worked hard to attain the Sedition Act, you do deserve all the accolades for that. But apparently, there is a clause given under the act that you've clearly forgotten. Sure, you are allowed to create your own rules and do anything you want within your dynasty. But you lose your authority to involve in other dynasty issues as well. You lose a lot of rights with it. It gets tougher for you to meddle in other dynasties' business. This is one of the reasons why Kings don't generally intend to seek absolute freedom, except the Chief Minister of Purvachand, of course. My point is, Tyrell Kissler needs to go back to Paschimgarh and do as per his King's orders. This is the law."

I gritted my teeth. "What if he persuades his King?"

"You are not asking me this question after seeing how Paschimgarh's King cross-examined Tyrell in Panchayat the other day."

"What if Ashwant helps me talk to the High King and seek his liberation for this one time?"

"You can try, keeping in mind that your little gig can make Tyrell and his King get off to a bad start. And don't forget, Tyrell has another trial coming up within a month. Your friendship should not be the reason for him to suffer for the rest of his life."

"What if he works illegally with me?"

He shrugged, dropping his hand down. His sagging posture showcases the physical frailty of aging. "Yes, you can do that too. That's an easy choice and I'm ashamed to let you even consider that. But try to give the position you've earned for yourself a little credit, Hayden. You cannot set a bad example already. You better follow the rules more than ever now. And let me remind you- a Sergeant must already be on duty watching every move of yours."

I scratched bleakly at my forehead. "There must be a way. So much is at stake right now which involves my personal life too. I don't want to discuss with the Kings every step I take over and over again. This should be a one-off deal. Last time I asked for my liberation from you. Now I need Tyrell's liberation from his King."

"Then you need to do what you did last time. Ask Tyrell to file an appeal under the Official Sanction Act."

I shook my head, feeling a muscle twitch in my jaw. "I don't believe I'm given that much time to wait for their reply. These creatures can drop a massive bomb any minute now. Last time I was able to be patient and protect people simultaneously. But now, death is spinning right upon our heads."