six

Lilac

Lilac. My Lilac, so naive she doesn't question the bigger things, just looks up at me like I silence her evil thoughts, like I protect her from the world. Only if she knew, the protection would be needed from me.

I wish I never had agreed for her to join me because I dont know how to break the news, that in less than a week or two I'll be gone at the dead of night.

I dont mean to break unrequited promises, but they happen. So many girls before her, boys too. I'd never let them join though. From the northern parts of Italy to the city skylines in Melbourne, Australia.

I haven't found what I'm looking for, but I have found her.

She makes wandering feel not so lonely, as she bikes next to me, her legs constantly abusing the pedal in order to catch up. I slow down sometimes, letting her catch her breath.

"What's your lucky number?" her questions are random, this girl.

"10." I answer abesentimindeldy.

"Me too!" She agrees, brown eyes glistening as her curly hair flows in the breeze. If there ever was a moment that I'd like to replay, this one would be it. Two people, one summer day.

"Is that right?"

"Yeah, and I'm not even saying it because you did. The 10th is my birthday."

I know, I want to tell her. The day we met.

"Where do you go at night Blue?"

"What, jealous?" I look over to her, and she crosses her arms, her blush bottom lip jutting out, signifying she's upset, annoyed, or flushed.  I find her being what tranquility aspires to be, so dainty and beautiful whilst never falling short.

"Never, now that would be hypocritical." What's that supposed to mean? My Lilac, with other boys, sharing secrets in the dark?

"I guess so."

"Now where are you leading me Lilac?"

"It's a surprise, you'll just have to wait and see." I stop pedaling fast, to let her lead, the backpack on her shoulders slouching in weight.

When we reach the final destination, I look around. Because it's hidden In trees that aren't meant to be found, you leap off the bike and place it against the tree, I follow your actions, you leading me.

The birds sing us melody that clash against the sounds of leaves crunching at our feet, you carry the bag like if we lose it, it's our last retreat. We walk in silence, as you lead the way, I'm behind you, yet you feel at reach in a way.

The skirt your wearing hugs you tightly painting a picture of what lays underneath, like cloth on a sculpture before the unveiling. "What are you doing?"

"Leading you, duh!" Your voice calls from in front of me.

When you stop walking, I can't help but look around. Grass for meters on end, with a waterfall and a lake in front. "What is this place?"

"I call it home."

"You live in the woods?"

"Don't be silly Blue, I just come here when I'm feeling in need of silence."

It's a beautiful place, more than that. You lean on the lively grass, crouching as you open the tote bag you'd carried like a backpack.  I eye you with curiosity. Who packs paints and brushes without any canvases? I never suspected you were an artist, but it makes sense. Art makes artists and that's exactly what you are.

"Where are we going to paint?" I ask, intrigue feeding. You look over to me from your shoulder with a cheeky grin.

"Have you ever wondered whats it feel like to be the canvas?"

"Not really, no."

"Well today that's what we're doing."

"Painting on each other?"

You hum in delight at my face that has now taken a fright. I wish you'd known that I do not like to paint, I'm much more of a writer.

We spend the evening snacking on the sandwiches you made. "Vegan sandwiches because I don't know you're requirements." Whilst you strip me bare of my top.

At first, I thought you'd mind my scars but you didn't say anything as I took off my shirt, just looked away your eyes widening in undesired delight, I caught the slight 'omg' when you looked at my chest. Did I forget to mention I work out a lot? Helps me fall tired at night when Insomnia feeds off of me.

On the floor, eyeing the waterfall, you straddled my back, as your brushes painted away, I found myself resting on my hands, tiredness eating at me away as my eyes fluttered shut and the images of today.

"Blue, Blue. You've fallen asleep," her lullaby voice soothes me out of my trance, as her hands swipe against my back.

"Hmmm," I hum, the world still not coming to me fully. And then the comfortable sight is often from on top of me, leaving a patch of coldness to seep in and attack my skin. "How long have I been asleep." I turn to view Lilac. 

"Not long, it was more of a nap."

"What did you paint?"

"I smudged it, but just the landscape. Do you want a turn?"

"I have a better idea."

She shrieks when I run after her, dropping the supplies with childlike mannerisms as it leaves her vocal cords, heading straight for the lake.

Her hands grip onto her RL hoodie, just as she's on the verge of the lake, before shimmying her way out of it and jumping in, despite her skirt still being on.

I jump in after her, the water sprinkling all around us once I've landed in. "Oh shit, I'm so sorry, the paints going to get off, I didn't even get to see it!" Genuine guilt bites its way at me.

But Lilac's eyes are still smiling, "Don't worry I took a photo!"

The sun shines down on us in jealousy for the rest of the evening, I'd lie if I said it wasn't menacing. But the day goes by, with Lilac's giggles and laughter intoxicating the air as I target her in the water erupting through sound waves, dancing elicit through my veins.

Companionship might not seem too bad if you have the right one.