Chapter Three: Love Lock

Start from the beginning

Dara was flustered by the sudden compliment. She immediately put it down and looked everywhere except Hyukjae. She felt her face reddened. It was the first time that she heard that kind of compliment from someone. Albeit the fact that her family is always complimenting her like that, but it felt weird to heard it from outside her family.

Hyukjae not noticing the flustered face of Dara started to look for a padlock. He studied at each box to help Dara in looking for the best until a box in the left corner of the shelf had caught his attention. He picked it up and smile at the oddness of the padlock. It had a unique design and not a cringy type, unlike the most padlock design in there. It was a green and red padlock. The green padlock was in the shape of a palm tree while the red one was in the shape of a ramen cup.

"Dara, look at this," Hyukjae said while showing the box to Dara.

Dara glanced at Hyukjae and looked at the box. She smiled widely when she saw the unique padlock. He got the box off from Hyukjae's hand and examined it.

"This is cute!" She exclaimed while examining it more. "This is unique. Unlike those hearts padlock." She looked up at Hyukjae. "Let's buy this."

She walks towards the cashier counter and she handed it to the cashier attendant.

"8,000 won please."

She was about to take out a bill from her coat pocket when suddenly Hyukjae handed a bill to the cashier attendant. She was taken aback and she glanced at Hyukjae with raised eyebrows.

"Why did you do that?"

Hyukjae looked at Dara and smirked. "I hate it when a girl is paying for something if she's with me. So I paid for it."

Dara frowned. "Do you have a forthright personality? Earlier, you told me I am cuter than a padlock. And now you're saying that you don't want a girl to pay when she's with you."

"Your padlock and your change sir." The cashier attendant interrupted their conversation while handling the padlock and the bill to Hyukjae.

Hyukjae received it and mumbled his thanks. He beckoned Dara to follow him outside, and they occupied the empty table in front of the store. They sat across from each other. And Hyukjae opened the box, taking out the two padlocks and giving it to her.

"You didn't answer my question," Dara said while reaching for the two padlocks. "Do you have a forthright personality?"

"I am a very plainspoken person," Hyukjae said simply. He smiled and he lifted the marker from the small box in the center of the table and he handed it to her. "I tend to speak what's on my mind. No sugarcoating, no breaks, and no hesitation. If I want to say something I will say it. If I want to do something, I will do it. And I think it's better to be valiant than to be irresolute."

Dara nodded as he comprehended what he was trying to say. "Yes, I think It's better to get hurt by the harsh truth than to be comforted with a lie. Because if you will be comforted with a lie, it will hurt even more when you found out the truth."

Hyukjae hummed. "Seconded!"

Dara sneered. "I bet it's easy for you to make woman head over heels for you. By suddenly blurting out your mushy lines without a problem."

Hyukjae smirked. "Why? Are you already head over heels for me?"

Dara's eyes widen. Hyukjae throws another unvarnished remark at her. "No!"

Hyukjae laughed. Dara's reaction was priceless. "Hey. I am just joking. Don't widen your eyes too much."

Dara composed herself and she tried to laugh it out. "Tch! What a lame joke?!"