chapter eight

chapter eight
DAY ONE

AS JOSEPHINE sat in the backseat, cradling her knees with tears rolling down her cheeks and her big brother's arms wrapped around her, she came to the realization that it was his fault her friend died

AS JOSEPHINE sat in the backseat, cradling her knees with tears rolling down her cheeks and her big brother's arms wrapped around her, she came to the realization that it was his fault her friend died. If he had just waited one moment longer to close the elevator doors, she would've made it inside. She would be here right now, not ripped into pieces. She would be alive.

She wanted to pull away from Bash, but she only didn't because his embrace felt comforting.

"What the hell was that?" Derrick finally asked aloud, after having spent the entire car ride questioning it to himself.

Emmett nodded his head, glad that someone else saw what he had been explaining to his family all night, "Exactly what I was telling you."

Derrick shook his head, "This can't be happening."

"Dad," Emmett urged. His father knew damn well that what they had just witnessed was real. There was no denying that.

Derrick then declared, "We can't stay here."

"Where we gonna go?"

Derrick paused for a moment, thinking to himself. He knew that they couldn't just leave the city with no plan on a set destination. That's how he would get his family killed.  He had to be smart about this. He knew he had to think of somewhere with few people and easy access. "The lakehouse," the man stated aloud.

His son just glanced over at him. Sebastian then spoke up, "That's not a bad idea." Emmett nodded in agreement. It wasn't.

"We're leaving tonight," Derrick commanded.

When they pulled into the driveway, Derrick had his door open and jumped out before they even parked. He ran inside his house, leaving the door opened behind him for the others.

"Quinn?" he called out for his wife. He froze in place when his eyes landed on the blanket Lia's boyfriend was dragging across the floor towards the back door. A liquid the color of crimson seeped through the gray comforter. "What the hell happened?" he questioned the young man.

Taylor stood up straight, letting go of the blanket. "Um," he hesitated for a moment before explaining, "your neighbor - she came over and attacked your wife."

"What?! Is she okay?"

"Yeah-"

Derrick didn't wait for Taylor's response; he immediately ran to his and Quinn's bedroom. The door was open, and his wife was knelt down in front of her dresser, shoving clothing into a suitcase. "Quinn," Derrick sighed in relief, seeing that his wife was safe. He immediately ran toward the woman, wrapping his arms around her, resting his palm on the back of her head, as she stood to her feet.