chapter six

chapter six
DAY ONE

               FEAR FILLED the room, and although nobody said that they were afraid, it was an obvious overwhelming feeling throughout the house

"Okay, what the fuck is going on?" Lia asked, spinning around to glare at her older step brother. Taylor wrapped his arm around her shoulders, rubbing her left arm up and down, attempting to ease her nerves. He could feel her body tense up underneath his touch as her nostrils flared at the man standing behind the couch.

Derrick shook his head at the blonde woman, turning towards the two youngest children in the room, "Miles, Elaine, head upstairs, since your sister doesn't know how to speak nicely."

"Are you serious?" Lia questioned, her green eyes now landing on her stepfather. "I understand if it's Zee, but she's in her room. Trust me, these two have heard the word fuck plenty of times."

Derrick ignored his eldest stepdaughter's argument, causing her to roll her eyes, and instead, demanded to the two teens, "Now."

Elaine sighed as she rose to her feet, following her compliant stepbrother up the staircase. She patted her thin thighs, though, calling out, "Clio! Come on, girl." The dog immediately dashed up the stairs, following the two into the bedroom Miles and Leon shared when they stayed over.

All eyes landed on Emmett again, as Ali crossed her arms over her chest, "So?"

Emmett licked his thick lips, not sure what he should even say. People are out there eating each other. No, that's too grotesque. A bite is making people sick and cannibalistic. No, that just sounds like a horror movie.

"Dead people are walking and eating the living people," Sebastian clarified. He grinned at Emmett from his spot on the couch. "That about sums it up, right?"

Emmett pressed his lips together into a hard line. He couldn't understand how Bash could be so nonchalant about this. People are dying, and he just spoke as if talking about the weather. The looks on everyone's faces expressed confusion and fear; the exact reason why Emmett wanted to be sure to find the right words to explain what was happening in the city.

Keisha nodded her head, answering for the man beside her, "Yeah, pretty much."

Derrick furrowed his brows, shaking his head as he held up his hands in offense, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What are you talking about?"

Quinn turned to her husband, nodding in her own understanding of the situation, "This is exactly what I was telling you."