4.2. To Back Down

Începe de la început

In the later years, Haima discovered the source of the sickness. She realized that it wasn't in fact a sickness in the first place. The normal humans were still humans, but only being engaged with newly found magic. A gift was being circulated amongst humans from a formidable source. Lady Chandrika was against the idea, the fear of more normal humans surpassing her powers weighed heavily on her. And for that very reason, she'd plotted to murder the humans down for her own benefit.

This was unknown to Haima. The shock of being deceived by her very master was still fresh in her heart. However, questioning her master's back would have been a miscalculation on her part. She was forced to hold back on confrontation, given her fright of circumstances turning against her.  Endira had just returned with a child. Only Haimavati, Singh and now Parthiva knew that the unnatural procreation had happened when Haima had sent her troupes to the suburbs. Seeing the sudden calamity fall on El Sayed's family, Haima had no other choice but to suppress her anger towards her master in order to withhold information.

Today, after so many years, Haima was still scared. Not of the arrogant woman sitting in front of her, but of her son-like Almourah who was yet unaware of this information.

"The Great Hunt," Lady Chandrika said, pondering. "The best times, weren't they?"

"You used me," Haima whispered, throat bubbling with an insane grudge. "I was only a research and now an experiment to you."

"Wrong," Lady Chandrika said, "I sincerely appreciate your help. And believe me, my impression of you has reverted to how it used to be when you brought Almourah back from his death brink. You proved his accusations wrong about my son attempting to murder him. And in return, I'm going to give you a path to an easy eternal life. Don't you see, how fortunate you are? You will live long, Haima. Every generation will revere you. What larger gift than gaining immortality could you desire?"

I'd receive the gift of life when I see you and your psychotic son dead!

"Now tell me," Lady Chandrika asked. "What's the purpose of this late-night meeting?"

"I came here to talk," Haima said, trying to keep her peace and remembering her conversation with Bhagwad. "I sincerely wish this meeting to be between you and me. No need for the Panchayat to be involved. I promise I'm not here to offend you in any way. Not this time. Can you spare a few moments?"

Lady Chandrika gazed at her for a moment. "You came here to speak treason, have you not?" she said and gestured to the chair resting on the other side of the table. "Let me cut through something quickly," she continued as Haima sat. "We've had our differences. You did everything you had to do to get away from my proposals. But now you must have realized that the time is of the essence. It's probably best for everyone if you back down and realize that this is your fate."

Back down. This phrase now beginning to aggravate her. Nevertheless, she forced herself to remain obliged to it. "I choose free will."

"You chose to serve me when you decided to be my apprentice. And who's to say, free will and fate co-exist, don't they not?

Haima sucked her teeth. "I still have a few hours left. There are certainly a lot of things that I haven't used in my defense. You never know, I might be successful in changing my fate that you're forcibly dumping down my throat."

"Like what?"

"Magic," she replied. "My special magic."

Lady Chandrika scoffed. "The fire spirits were summoned for the creation of Yajna. They are the ones writing your fate, Haima. And you should know that they are really hard to manipulate."