The floor, between her and the racing spear, cracked open. A portion of the ground erupted up, making her step back. The spear hit the stoned wall and tumbled down. The crashing sound silenced the area.

"Leave her alone. She is here on my call." A gruff voice came from far aside.

The knights bowed and retreated at once, mumbling names and nonsensical words.

From further inside the castle, a crippled, single legged-man, limped down the corridor trailed with heavy stone sculptors. He walked towards her, the light from the lanterns following the long shadow. In moments, he stood at a spot leaving quite a distance between them.

The man with the walking stick looked beaten up, slouched too much on his stick showing his modesty. The lower portion of his swollen face was covered with a dark beard while the above with wild scars. A black patch hid one of his eyes and the other bulged out staring outright, eager for some answers. "Haima, you aren't welcome here anymore," Bhagwad El Sayed said. "It's best for everyone if you accept to be in terms with the orders."

"I'm here to have to last talk with your mother," she said. "I don't intend to cause any trouble. Please, let me go. This is important."

Before Bhagwad replied, he took a step forward, and the walking stick hit the edge of the sculptor. His hand on the handle of the stick trembled and he lost his balance. The stick fell off. He struggled to stand on his single leg and let out a painful moaning sound. Haima quickly scurried towards him, held his stick up, and handed it over to the Emerald User.

"Thank you," Bhagwad murmured, staggering at his foot.

"Where's Makara?" asked Haima, looking around.

"I dismissed him. The mobility left in my leg takes good care of me. I don't need another pair of legs for support."

Haima shook her head. "Constellia can be as much part of this country only through co-dependency, don't you think?"

He scoffed. "Let my brothers and sisters consider me as a part of the family first."

"They...do."

"You hesitated," he said. "Haima, you don't have to put up a front for my sake. I know I'm ugly and ugly people crave acceptance. What would you know?"

She smiled. "This might sound banal, but a prospective human must fulfill certain requirements other than being beautiful. For instance, having a kind heart, which you possess."

He stared up, watching her closely. "I could never understand why you treat me as...me." He stuttered between words. "Why are you so humble towards me?"

"Is it so wrong?"

He paused. "No. But it's different. Being nice to me feels different, and nice. Sometimes I wish...I wish you were my sister."

Silence descended on them, warmth filling up in her heart. All her life she'd been wishing for Endira to say those words. Simple words but effective and full of meaning. She inwardly scoffed. Unexpected words and praises come from the places one expects the least. "Think twice before you wish for it," she said, looking away, unwilling to show her misty eyes. "Wishes can be dangerous."

"More than my own brothers and sisters?"

"More than your own mother."

Bhagwad bent his head and limped aside, adjusting his stance. "Things shouldn't have turned this way between you and my mother. You are more like a force, elegant and overpowering. Why can't end this feud?"

That is what I'm here for. But perhaps reframing the words may help assess the situation better. "What if I ask of you the same?"

He held a weighty frown across his face, bushy eyebrows drawing close. "What do you mean?"

Haima chewed at her lip before saying, "Kshaturya is trying to touch base with me. I know, for one thing, that he already has reclaimed his stone. His Constellia is more cunning than we think. And he's now looking for a chance to strike back. Kshaturya and I- we both have a mutual enemy, Bhagwad. Perhaps you can imagine what kind of pact he is likely to put forth if I go seek his help."

Bhagwad turned completely towards her, his visible eye bulging out more. "Both of you have magic. And several times stronger than other witches and warlocks. Now that I think of it...you both could be perfect partners and are capable to end every feud brewing in this country. Don't tell me this has never crossed your mind. What's really stopping you?"

"My friendship with Kshaturya will bring an end to the First generation."

He sighed. "Then why are you telling me this?"

"Seeking another kinetic power is not physically possible. You are putting yourself in danger."

"Are you asking me to surrender?"

"I'm asking you to back down. You're brothers. No good will come of it if either one of you dies. We have lost too many Samagraha already."

"It's good advice," he said, voice lowering. "Backing down. Full of virtue and very handy. But have you anytime considered the advice well for yourself?"

Haima dropped her eyes to the floor, embarrassed, unable to utter another word. Many had advised her to back down before- from Panchayat to commoners as well as her own children. But that ill advice had only enhanced her resilience even further to win this battle.

"That's right. Not easy, isn't it?" he asked. "Haima, my feud with Kshaturya will only kill either of us. But yours with my mother is annihilating the entire country. Think about it." He didn't wait for her reply but began limping, his walking stick tapping hard against the floor. "You're still a very mysterious mage," he said walking away unevenly into the shady narrow corridor of the castle. "I'll come see you tomorrow at the wedding."