4.1 To Back Down

Börja om från början

The entire country was aware of such a magical invention by Haima. There had been an implicit assumption that she had been using an unfamiliar product, an external source, to easily transport. In reality, such a magical entity was not yet invented. She made sure nobody did, especially Lady Chandrika. The country labeled her selfish and fickle for keeping the magic to herself but she knew in her heart that the transportation magic was dangerous, and could be used for unworldly purposes.

With a speed of an instinct, she appeared beside a thick bark of an oak tree, against a fence that marked the end of the village. The space was filled with fog, obscuring the moonlight, which quickly lifted off from the spot with her appearance. A few roosting birds shuffled restlessly. She pulled the cloak tighter against her face. Across the alley, a couple of people were sitting outside their huts, smoking. They bristled with the sudden movement. Before they gave a further reaction, Haimavati scuttled away from them.

She headed towards the looming towered castle, built even before the builders had planned their extensive castle-building programs for the members of the High Clan living in Dakshinpur. The province was known for its cloistered surroundings for the rich and famous to settle in their opulence of gold-plated privilege. 

She gaped at the tower, the El Sayed's residence, a five-story crumbling manor designed to accommodate the huge family, now broken into shards. Haimavati swallowed, trying not to feel responsible for people distraught at the estrangement.

Moving ahead a few paces, she spotted the lonely opened window. The dim light of the candle cast the shadow of the woman sitting against the wall. Lady Chandrika's study room. And she was awake. Good. Haima removed her cloak and proceeded.

A big man stood in front of the gate, a guard, who turned his head toward her and lifted his hand. "Stop, Milady. We have orders not to let you inside."

Get aside. She passed on the information before raising her voice out loud. The guard looked about him, somewhat confused and mostly scared, and skidded aside as if impelled. There was no real reason why she mind-talked, but she loved the feel of the energy that surged inside her like a tickle doing so. When given an excuse, she simply used this magic on normal humans. They were just too easy to manipulate. Her magic made her job easy. It was immoral on her part but she found the magic helpful. The only regret was the magic never worked on mages, not even on Samagraha, to whom she had gifted the power to mind-connect amongst themselves.

The gates squeaked aloud as she dashed inside and quickly strode into the house, unafraid and determined. A table was perched beside the entrance door, on which the abomination was resting. A pearlized wedding invitation, styled over a palm leaf and words engraved with sparklers. Anger filled in her heart and the temperature inside the living room rose a few degrees. This had nothing to do with the fire crackling in the lanterns adorning the stenciled creamy wall.

Tap! Tap! Tap!

Her footfalls sounded heavy and peculiar against the flagstone pathway that led toward the staircase. The floor trembled, and more footfalls approached threateningly towards her. A fine number of knights, dressed in suits of armor, appeared from all sides, a dozen of arrows pointing at her. It's not worth it, she warned. Knights looked around, confused and dazed. Haima smiled, finding them making a fool of themselves for not being able to target her anymore. Arrows dropped down sequentially. Out of my way, she ordered. The knights slid aside. And Haimavati tap-tap-tapped straight through amidst them.

There was a loud crash behind her and a couple of men yelled her name. She stopped midway and spun around only to find a long and sharp spear racing towards her with a strange burst of speed. She gasped and stood petrified. There was no time to escape. And then...