Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"I wasn't there for longer. If I was at camp with you, I could have helped you. Stopped the campers and put Annabeth's plan in a setback. We could have figured out her true purposes." Nico argues.

"But I wasn't there for you long before that even though I so badly wanted to be. I knew you wanted to be alone. You needed to grieve for your sister and get that hate and anger out of your system. Nico, I should be doing this alone. I may have higher goals but I still have that pent up rage inside. I don't want you anywhere near it when I let it loose. In Tartarus, I can let it seep into the atmosphere and poison him. I want to give you the life I took away from you when I lst your sister, when I let her go." 

"Bianca made her own decision, just like you said. She knew you were important and she knew you were always going to be the one who was needed. You're wrong. You were always trying to be there for me and I shrugged you off. I want to repay you for your kindnes and I'm never leaving your side again. Not when I can help you and prevent horrible things fom happening. I think it will make my sister proud and I hope she somehow knows I have finally let go of that deep seed of hatred, that my petty grudge against the both of us is gone, and that I am accepting my role as an actual person of this world."

"She was and always will be proud of you. I bet even in her new life she remembers the name Nico di Angelo, but...as God of Rebirth, I do not think she is reborn yet. She awaits for her soul to be born again." I tell him.

Nico looks at me. "Is she alright?"

"She's absolutely fine. A lot of souls who have chosen rebirth are being cycled in. She's just waiting her turn." I tell him gently.

"Does she still remember me?" He whispers sadly.

"She could never forget such an important individual, not to mention someone she truly loved and cared for in her life. You will always be with her." I tell him and he looks at me, his eyes are wet.

I touch his heart. "Children of the Underworld always have the fatal flaw to hold grudges, but that's only because they have so much love in their hearts. Your magic defines the very depths your love reaches. It is because of you Hades regained his heart and came to his family's defense. Bianca knew this and she was much like you. She lives inside you. It's why your father looks sad every time he sees you. You are so much like your sister he can't bear the pain in his heart, but he loves you so much he can't stay away. As a child of Hades, your love has the power to change the course of fate. People only hold grudges over things they love. You loved Bianca and when she died it tore you apart because you are a caring and kind person. People only see Hades and his bloodline as frightening beause of his domain, but once you get to know them," I hold out my free hand and a shining orb of bright starlight appears in my hand, "They are some of the brightest souls in the universe." I let the llight flicker out and Nico's tears have spilt over and flow down his cheeks.

"What about greed? Don't people hold grudges over that sort of thing?" He whispers in a choking voice.

I smile at him. "Only those who are evil hold grudges for that kind of reason and you are far from it. Nico di Angelo, there is no soul purer than yours other than mine. It is why you are my Guardian, why I met you, why you are my friend, and why you were born to Hades. It's why you and Bianca were in that hotel, why you are loving and caring and kind. You are one of the greatest presences of purity and it never lessens. Your grudges are out of the good of your heart and that's why it is so hard for you to let them go. There is no one else I would rather have to be my Guardian."

Nico crushes me in a hug and lets his silent tears out. I put my arms around him gently and rub his back until he is able to pull himself together, which takes a little while. "Thank you." He mumbles into my shoulder.