■ The Blights upon the Library ■

• ■ ● - ● - ● - ● - ● ■ •

"Azura," Hecate began. "Our paths have crossed only in battle. But today I stand before you seeking an ally." Luz reads outloud while standing on the couch. She sighs, holding the book closer to her chest.

"Luz." King said, pointing at her with narrowed eyes. "You're getting all swoony again."

"Better get used to it King..." You say, gesturing to Luz. "This always happen whenever she reads the book." 

"I can't help it." Luz sighs once more. "Azura is able to befriend everyone. Even her biggest rival. I wish I had that kind of power." She smiles, looking at her book.

"Rivals are meant to be annihilated, not befriended…. Now keep reading. I've been sucked into your awful fandom." He said as his tail wags.

You silently chuckle and pat his head. "Eh. You'll enjoy it."

"Okay." She nods and continues to read. "Suddenly the door swung open."

Suddenly the door swung open.

"DING - DONG. DING, HOOT! HOOT!" Hooty called out which makes you all jump.

"The heck?" You said as King suddenly jumped up and clinged onto your shirt.

"The book has come to life! Burn it!" King exclaims.

"Not really." You chuckle, patting his head.

Meanwhile, Luz walks over to the door to find a basket and she brings it inside.

"Eda, you got a package." She says, walking into the kitchen with the basket and placing it onto the table. "It looks like a gift basket."

"Probably an offering. Ah! Being the most powerful witch in the Boiling Isles has its perks." Eda smirks while King puts on a bib. He then pulls the blanket off the basket, revealing a snoring baby. 

"Mm. Fresh meat." King rubs his paws together.

"No, not eating that." Luz says, walking away from the table.

"Witches eating babies is so 1693." Eda rolls her eyes and gestures to the basket. "What is this?"

"Uh. What?" You stared at her for a bit before noticing something attached to the basket. 

"Oh. Wait, there's a note." You read the writing on the note. "Take care of my child till morning. Yi Yi."

"Nope. Babies are awful. Not happening." Eda scowls, turning away from the baby.

You flipped the note over to find more writing. "You will be handsomely rewarded. X‐O‐X‐O‐X‐O‐X. Bat Queen."

"Bat Queen?" Eda parroted.

King rummages through the basket and pulls out a couple of golden coins. It jingles as he holds it out to Eda.

"Reward?" Eda's eyes sparkle as she stares at the glittering coins.

"Who's the Bat Queen?" Luz suddenly asks, walking over to your side. You give King a curious look as he sniffs the coins.

"She's the wealthiest demon on the Boiling Isles. Get in with her and you're set for life." Eda takes one of the golden coins from King's paw. "So, we keep this thing alive for a few hours and we get paid. Pfft. Easy!"

"Our greatest adventure yet!" Luz gushes. "Learning about love and life through a child's eyes."

Luz seems enthusiastic about the idea of taking care of the baby. You on the other hand, not so much.