29

"I'm not wearing that." Wanda shakes her head, backing away until her back hits the drawers.

"Yes you are." I smirk, mischief shining in my eyes as I approach holding the item she dreaded in my hands.

"Sam's going to make fun of me!" She whines, bolting to the wall in an attempt to keep the distance between us as I stifle a laugh at her childlike nature.

"Sam makes fun of everybody!" I reason, hooking my arms around her waist as she tries to run past me and practically sending us tumbling down to the bed just a few steps behind me.

With Wanda firm in my grip, I crawl on top of her. My knees were pressed against the mattress, pressed right by her hips to lock her in place as I successfully slip the Santa hat onto her head. The tip was glowing, flashing different colors as I pin her hands down by her wrists to prevent her from yanking the hat off.

"I look so stupid." She argues as I pepper her face with kisses, feeling the way she was fighting off a smile as I give her lips extra attention.

"You look adorable." I chuckle, pressing a few more before letting up on her wrists and looking down at her.

She did look adorable, so adorable my heart could melt at the sight. She had the whole thing going on, the red sweater, skin tight jeans and now the matching Santa hat that sat flush atop her head. She even had a scowl of disapproval, but it didn't matter to me. It was Christmas Eve, my first one in nearly a decade that wasn't spent in some random country, cooped up in a hotel room and sweeping whatever bars I could find just to drown out the feeling of being alone.

For the first time in a long time, I wasn't alone. I was somewhere that felt warm, that felt alive. I had people to buy presents for, and to receive them from. I had a girl I adore, laying right under me looking so beautiful i'm convinced no gift in the world could ever best her and I had Lara.

We weren't completely alright— but for the first time in a long time I wasn't staring up at the night sky wondering if she was alright. Wondering if she got her gifts, if she was sitting under a tree and tearing them open or eating cookies and milk— or if she missed me. For the first time in a long time, she was right here, with me. 

And i'm happy.

For one night, for one day I was completely, unwaveringly happy. It was like everything that happened before couldn't penetrate the bubble I had around me, like for a moment the way the world burned was left at the door. The fire couldn't catch me, not here, not with Wanda, not when i'm happy.

"I'll be wearing the same thing. It'll be cute." I crawl off Wanda, plopping down next to her on the bed as I slip on my own hat, clicking the little button to ignite the little flashing lights.

"It'll be cute because you are, I only look dumb." Wanda flips over to her side, resting a gentle hand on my stomach as I turn to look at her. She makes me so breathless, sometimes I felt like a kid with a big fat crush on the pretty girl down the street.

"I can hear you again." She smiles, a subtle blush creeping onto her cheeks as I tug at her sweater, pulling her in for a kiss that intoxicates me more than any drink I knew i'd be having that night.

"Do we have to go?" She mumbles against my lips, her smile shaping against my own as I trail my fingers up and down her back.

"As much as I'd love to do this..." I press my lips to hers once more, pulling away just enough to pepper kisses from her mouth to her neck, slowing right at her jawline enough to feel her breath hitch.

"And you." I whisper, promptly stilling my movements and pulling far enough to chuckle at the pout on her lips.

"I'm pretty sure Nat's going to drag us both by our neck if we don't head up there now." I smile, taking in the way she looks back at me with so much warmth amidst the snow blanketing the compound outside.